- RegionCôte de Nuits
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 14-15°
- The 180 hectares of vines in the tiny village of Chambolle-Musigny are a soft interlude amongst the great vineyards of the Côte de Nuits, a moment of finesse before the masculin wines from Vougeot, Morey-Saint-Denis and Gevrey-Chambertin. Chambolle-Musigny is one of the smallest Côte d'Or appellations and produces mostly red wines. The limestone soil is renowned for producing wines that are delicately scented and very elegant.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 20% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis beautiful bright ruby colored wine is refined and elegant both on the nose and the palate. Intense red pinot fruit flavours are combined with notes of raspberry and strawberry, along with a touch of vanilla. In the mouth, this is a round and supple wine, well-balanced with mellow tannins. A noble wine that should be allowed to develop for a few years before unveiling its beauty.
- Food PairingSlow- roasted lamb - capon - cheese (Reblochon, Brillat-Savarin)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2020 - James Suckling - 93/100 pts
Amarena-cherry and cocoa-powder aromas pour from the glass. Big fruit, and behind it plenty of powdery tannins. Moderate acidity, but that doesn't stop the finish from being impressively firm and mineral. Drinkable now, but best from 2024.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2020 - Burghound.com - 89/100 pts
Here too the nose offers hints of red and dark raspberry but with more floral elements. The finer but not necessarily denser medium weight flavors exude an appealing bead of minerality on the sappy and mildly austere finale that is both slightly long and a bit more complex as well. Worth a look.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2018 - 92 pts - Wine Spectator May 2021
All about finesse, this red delivers black currant, black cherry, floral, stone and spice flavors. There is fine depth in its taut frame, along with a solid backbone of acidity and tannins. Best from 2024 through 2037. — BS
- Chambolle-Musigny 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 90/100
This is aromatically similar to the Morey-Saint-Denis but even spicier with pretty floral nuances as well that include notes of violet and lilac. The vibrant and nicely voluminous flavors possess both good detail and a subtle minerality...2025+
- Chambolle Musigny 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 90/100
- Chambolle-Musigny 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 92/100A deep and rich wine for the vintage with deep fruit. Juicy and bright. Smoke, wet earth and iron. Just before bottling. Drink after 2020.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2017 - Wine Spectator - May 2020 - 90/100
Silky and elegant, delivering black cherry, black currant, spice and mineral notes. Balanced and fresh, with fruit and mineral details, echoing on the finish. Drink now through 2028 - Bruce Sanderson
- Chambolle-Musigny 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 93/100
- Chambolle-Musigny 2016 - Burghound.com - April 2018 - 90/100Airy and fresh array of plum, spice, violet and dark berry scent....exude a fine minerality on the balanced, lingering and nicely refreshing finish. Good if not special quality here.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017
A perfumed mix of red currant, dark cherry and soft violet hints introduces highly energetic, well-detailed and utterly delicious flavors that possess a lacy mouth feel and solid length on the stony finale. 2021+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only 2016 - 90/100
Macerated cherry, spice and mineral flavors grace this smooth red, which yields quickly to firm, chalky tannins. Best from 2018 through 2028. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2014-Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 90/100
Vines situated in the heart of the village give this wine its ripe, generous berry flavor. The tannins, while firm, are integrated into the bold fruitiness. This round while structured wine has good acidity to balance the richness. Drink from 2019.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 91/100 "Top Value"
A restrained, fresh and agreeably complex nose features a cool mix of various dark berry scents that display top notes of spice and floral hints. There is good volume to the velvety yet serious middle weight flavors that possess a stony and refined mouth feel before terminating in a compact and mildly austere finale. This mouth coating effort is presently backward but the underlying material is really quite good. Recommended if you have the patience to allow it at least 3 to 5 years of cellar time. /2021+
- Chambolle-Musigny 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 90/100A notably ripe nose of liqueur-like dark berries, sandalwood and menthol leads to velvety and
very round medium weight flavors that possess better mid-palate density, all wrapped in a delicious if ever-so-slightly rustic
and moderately firm finale. This is pretty though it's not a classic Chambolle in terms of texture and mouth feel.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 91/100Bright, with rose, cherry and raspberry flavors that ride the silky texture, this exudes elegance and delicacy. There are light tannins on the finish that need to be resolved. Fine length. Best from 2017 through 2026.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 88/100A pronounced menthol character is a somewhat curious addition to the otherwise ripe and fresh cassis aromas. The fleshy and lightly mineral-inflected medium weight flavors possess good verve though there is a mildly astringent quality to the finish. This isn't without some appeal though the balance isn't perfect. 2016+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 89/100This is a beautiful, rounded and soft wine with sweet fruits and gentle tannins. Embedded in the intense fruitiness, a solid structure will help the wine age. Drink from 2016.-R.V
- Chambolle-Musigny 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 88/100An appealing nose of fresh dark berries, floral hints and soft humus nuances leads to rich, round and very supple flavors that possess good vibrancy and solid delineation. There is an attractive saline character to the sappy finish. 2016+
- Chambolle Musigny 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 89/100Firm from the start, the wine then shows both ripe red-berry fruit and a dense structure. There's a herbal edge that will soften in the next 2-3 years, bringing out the richness of Chambolle. (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 93/100Pure cherry, pomegranate and raspberry flavors are the highlights of this red, which shows grip on the finish, along with a mineral element that lingers. Offers potential for medium-term aging. Best from 2015 through 2024. (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 90/100Pure cherry, pomegranate and raspberry flavors are the highlights of this red, which shows grip on the finish, along with a mineral element that lingers. Offers potential for medium-term aging. Best from 2015 through 2024. (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 87/100Fresh aromas of red currant and wet stone marry into light-weight flavors that possess limited depth though there is reasonably good persistence. Perhaps this will add weight in bottle? In short, this is pretty enough but not very deep. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Chambolle-Musigny 2008 - Burghound.com - April 2010 - 88/100Latour indicated that this had literally just been bottled. A lovely and entirely classic Chambolle nose of bright and high-toned red pinot fruit laced with subtle mineral nuances that continue onto the detailed, pure and lilting flavors that possess a slightly edgy finish. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Chambolle-Musigny 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 87/100Juicy, with raspberry, strawberry and red currant flavors tinged with herbs. This has a lively structure and good length. Best from 2011 through 2016. 195 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chambolle-Musigny 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 87/100Light ruby. A high-toned nose of primarily red cherry and raspberry is in keeping with the very supple light weight flavors that are delicious and focused with a pretty touch of minerality but one wishes for just a bit more weight. There's no denying however the appeal of the extremely pretty fruit. 2011+
- Chambolle-Musigny 2005 - Wine Advocate - May 2007 - 86-88/100Latour indicates that they have a relatively strong level of control over the small, often semi-retired landholders from whom they buy grapes in Chambolle, and their 2005 Chambolle-Musigny offers lovely florals, lightly-cooked cherry with a mocha undertone, and clean, raw meat character all very typical for this appellation and culminating in a juicy, sappy finish.
- 2004 Chambolle Musigny - Burghound.com - April 2006 - 85-87 points :A high-toned red pinot fruit nose nuanced with notes of strawberry and raspberry complement the light weight, round and sweet flavors that culminate in a supple and easy to like finish. This offers good balance and good finesse if not a lot of mid-palate density.
- 2003 Chambolle-Mussigny - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 88 points :A completely different aromatic profile as here there are ripe high-toned red cherry and raspberry fruit aromas highlighting supple, refined and fresh middle weight flavors that offer adequate complexity and a trace of finishing rusticity. This wine works though because it's beautifully balanced and packs good punch on the finish. 88/2008+
- 2001 Chambolle-Musigny - Burghound.com - April 2004 - 87 points :Very light ruby. Ultra elegant and extremely fine red fruit aromas blend into round, supple and utterly charming barely middle weight flavors that offer a lovely sweet and better finishing intensity than the mid-palate would suggest. This is not a particularly deep or concentred wine but it is undeniably pretty and one that I would be inclined to drink on the young side. 88/2005-9.