Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru"La Maltroie"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationChassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- The history of wine-producing Burgundy goes back to ancient times and the vineyard parcel names demonstrate this. The Latin origin of Maltroie, "Marturetum", leads us to believe that this parcel lies on the top of an ancient burial ground dating to before the IV century. Situated on a slight incline at an altitude of 240-255m, this parcel of almost 3 hectares profits from a south-easterly exposure and stony clay soils.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru « La Maltroie » 2011 is a pure golden yellow color. The nose opens on complex aromas with vanilla and apricot notes. Spicy aromas can be smelt. Ample and round on the mouth, aromas of vanilla develop, ending with a sweet note of sap.
- Food PairingShellfish - fish - goats cheese
- Chassange-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - June 2020 - 90/100
There is a whiff of exoticism to the notably ripe aromas of pear, tangerine peel and white peach. There is impressive richness to the round and generously proportioned middle weight flavors that possess plenty of mid-palate fat, all wrapped in a delicious, clean and agreeably dry finale that offers enough depth to be more than just interesting.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 88/100
There is an atypical aromatic profile here in the context of the 2015 vintage with its nose of pink grapefruit and floral scents. There is the same character in the mouth on the middle weight flavors that deliver acceptable depth and length. 88/2019+
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 93/100
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 92/100
Riper nose of resin, petrol and various white orchard fruit scents. There is excellent intensity to the beautifully well-detailed medium weight flavors that display impressive depth and length on the saline and well-balanced finale. It's extremely rare in my experience that a Maltroie can best a quality Caillerets but that appears to be the case here.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 91/100
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Lovely"
An overt and pretty Chassagne nose of herbs, some mineral and freshness. Muscled, but lithe and supple. Some richness to the texture and flavour, but the balance keeps up. Fine and detailed complexity in the finish. Lovely... (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 93/100Ripe
and layered with dried pineapple and passion fruit. Full, very long and
powerful. This is a wine for the future, but so satisfying now.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2012 - Wine Spectator - August 2015 - 90/100Rich and spicy, this white evokes peach, apple and citrus notes. Bracing acidity tips the balance slightly, while a mineral element emerges on the mouthwatering finish. Best from 2017 through 2024.
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Maltroie” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 92/100 There is excellent volume and verve to the solidly well-concentrated medium-bodied flavors that coat the mouth with dry extract before culminating in a lightly mineral-infused, balanced and attractively complex finish. This is really quite good. 2017+
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16.5/20Drink 2012-2016: Quite heady, blossomy nose. Assertive start and good structure and freshness. (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2009 - Wine Spectator - July 2012 - 91/100Lush and open, sporting peach, apple pie, toast and butterscotch aromas and flavors in an unabashed style. This comes together on the defined finish, with a hint of iodine and seashore. Best from 2013 through 2020. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 92/100An attractive wine, with open, generous fruit and a structure that exhibits mineral texture through which green fruit emerge. At this stage, there is still a youthful tightness. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 16.5/20Fine savory flavors to this racy premier cru, subtle grained texture in the mouth with a sugrging rather than explosive intensity towards the finale. 16.5 (should go higher). By Michael Edwards (UK).