- RegionCôte de Beaune
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone containing high proportions of iron
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 14-15°
- Lying just beneath the hill of Beaune, the vine-growing areas of Savigny-les-Beaune fall into two areas. The first is in the south adjacent to Beaune and the other is in the north bordering on the appellation of Aloxe-Corton. The red wines of Savigny are very like those of Beaune.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 10% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteDeep ruby red in colour, the Savigny-les-Beaune Rouge 2012 offers a nose of wild strawberries, aniseed and earthiness. It is round in the mouth with fruit flavours of strawberry and redcurrant. This wine has wonderful length with elegant tannins on the finish.
- Food PairingGrilled meat - mature cheeses
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2014 - Wine Spectator - October 2016 - 89/100
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2011 - 2014 Sommelier Wine Awards - Bronze MedalFull of texture, soft red fruits and savoury character, Riccardo Giacomelli of Bocca di Lupo notes: ‘Rose and mineral palate, with good length. Match with duck breast in wine sauce.' (UK)
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2009 - Wine Spectator - December 2011 - 89/100This pure red exhibits cherry and red currant flavors, with a light confection note creeping in. It's all about the fruit and smooth texture, though there are ample tannins on the back end. Best from 2013 through 2022. (USA)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 86/100A very fresh and classic Savigny nose of red berry fruit, pungent earth and a hint of the sauvage introduces round, supple and delicious flavors that are on the light side and mostly fruit driven but pretty enough. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16.5/20Finely perfumed red fruit. A touch of oaky spice and enough fruit to balance the dryish tannins. Rounded and complete. Fine, lingering finish. Drink 2009-12. (UK)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 86/100This too is very ripe and pungently earthy with subtle iron and underbrush notes that lead to rich and full-bodied flavors underpinned by relatively refined tannins for what this is. Delicious, punchy and decently persistent if not particularly elegant. 2008+. By Allen Meadows (USA).