- RegionCôte de Beaune
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone containing high proportions of iron
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 14-15°
- Lying just beneath the hill of Beaune, the vine-growing areas of Savigny-les-Beaune fall into two areas. The first is in the south adjacent to Beaune and the other is in the north bordering on the appellation of Aloxe-Corton. The red wines of Savigny are very like those of Beaune.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 10% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteWith a deep ruby red colour, the Savigny lès Beaune 2010 is minty and peppery on the nose with good tannic structure on tasting, and cherry stone flavours on the finish. A pretty wine which is very expressive.
- Food PairingGrilled meat - mature cheeses
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 88/100
Ripe and fruity with a velvet texture that encompasses the tannins easily, this is a rounded, rich wine. The balance of fruit and acidity is already attractive. Drink from 2018.
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2014 - Wine Spectator - October 2016 - 89/100
A bright, succulent version, delivering floral, strawberry, raspberry and spice flavors. Lean and taut, with a lingering, tactile finish. Drink now through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2011 - 2014 Sommelier Wine Awards - Bronze MedalFull of texture, soft red fruits and savoury character, Riccardo Giacomelli of Bocca di Lupo notes: ‘Rose and mineral palate, with good length. Match with duck breast in wine sauce.' (UK)
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2009 - Wine Spectator - December 2011 - 89/100This pure red exhibits cherry and red currant flavors, with a light confection note creeping in. It's all about the fruit and smooth texture, though there are ample tannins on the back end. Best from 2013 through 2022. (USA)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 86/100A very fresh and classic Savigny nose of red berry fruit, pungent earth and a hint of the sauvage introduces round, supple and delicious flavors that are on the light side and mostly fruit driven but pretty enough. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16.5/20Finely perfumed red fruit. A touch of oaky spice and enough fruit to balance the dryish tannins. Rounded and complete. Fine, lingering finish. Drink 2009-12. (UK)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 86/100This too is very ripe and pungently earthy with subtle iron and underbrush notes that lead to rich and full-bodied flavors underpinned by relatively refined tannins for what this is. Delicious, punchy and decently persistent if not particularly elegant. 2008+. By Allen Meadows (USA).