Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru"En Caradeux"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPernand-Vergelesses Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 25 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- The village of Pernand-Vergelesses is located just 3km from that of Aloxe-Corton and of all the villages that the Grand Cru hill of Corton looks over, this is the most picturesque. The parcel "En Caradeux", located mid-slope and exposed to the East, faces the hill of Corton. These vines are worked traditionally by the winemakers of Domaine Louis Latour. The soil is stony and the basement is composed of marl and flint limestone which gives the typical particularity of this terroir.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 25% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" Blanc 2011 offers to the sight a pretty yellow colour with wonderful flecks of green. Notes of toasted almond perfume the nose. Aromas of vanilla and floral notes reveal the finesse of the wine. Ample on the mouth, sap aromas release while fresh almond notes offer a charming feeling. Smoked touches bring a lovely and enjoyable persistence on the finish.
- Food PairingShellfish - fish
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 91/100
- Pernand-Verglesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "This will be super"
A little more toastiness to the fresh nose. The slightly reductive style of Pernand, more concentrated and mineral than the Beaune - a super finish and the oak is showing much less - despite 30%. This will be super.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - June 2019 - 90/100 "Top Value"
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 89/100This has an array of cooler aromas of herbs and cucumber, as well as fennel and a green-mango and papaya edge. The clean line of acidity delivers a fresh finish. Drink now.
- Pernand-Vergelesses Premier Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 93/100The nose of this wine needs some air in order to wake up but soon notions of ripe Amalfi lemon and butter rise from the glass. On the palate, freshness takes center stage, with a playful, concentated finesse that dances across the tongue. The wine is wonderfully sprightly and refreshing, with unforced resonance.
Anne krebiehl MW
- Pernand-Verglesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - Wine Spectator - USA - 90/100
A distinctive white, this offers quince, lemon verbena and floral aromas and flavors, allied to a vibrant structure. Focused and long, ending with a hint of quinine.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1 er Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 15.5+/20
Light with a hint of green fruit. Drink: 2019 - 2024 (cask sample)
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2017 - Burgundy Report, Bill Nanson - January 2019 - "Nice depth"
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - "Another successful white"
The 2016 Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru En Caradeux is another successful white from Louis Latour this year, offering up aromas of crisp yellow orchard fruit, honeysuckle and pastry cream, followed by a medium-bodied, crisp but fleshy palate with an open-knit, succulent profile and a saline finish. Drink 2018-2024
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 90/100
A good commune this year, the whites especially in this top site. Fine northern fruits shot through with rocky minerals, nicely oaked. - Michael Edwards
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 90/100A tight and stony wine with crush pebbles and dried fruits. Some lemons, too. Medium body, bright acidity and a vivid, bright finish. Drink now.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16/20
Lots of cream and yoghurt character on the nose, plus generous oak and a sharp citric element. Freshly crushed herbs on the finish - mint, basil - then back to the creamy flavours. Drink 2017-2021
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 91/100
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017
2016 Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru En Caradeux Not yet bottled. A toasty, reductive, start to the nose. Too cold, but growing in both volume and complexity - this is really rather good on the palate - lots of interest here, I like very much for its good texture and energy. Lovely wine.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2015 - Sommeliers International - Summet 2017 - 4 stars
Nose marked by exotic fruits and honey. Ripe fruits on the palate, finish with a good length. A very pleasant wine with its freshness, complexity and minerality.
Pairing: Sole Nantua fillet
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 88/100
A ripe and overtly citrus-infused nose displays additional notes of pear and apple. There is a lovely sense of energy to the lightly stony middle weight flavors that are at once rich and generously proportioned while the finish is almost sweet and sour in that there are hints of bitter lemon and honey. 88/2019+
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 90/100
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 91/100 - Editor's Choice
With a touch of spice from the wood, this wine is full of yellow and apple fruits yet with a cool thread of acidity. It is a lively, bright wine, filled out with fruitiness. Drink from 2017.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 90/100
There is excellent energy to the more obviously mineral-inflected middle weight flavors that are shaped by a firmer acid spine on the balanced, refreshing and more complex finale.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2014 - Wine Chronicles - May 2016 - 90/100
The first of several 2014s just before dinner. A fine way to start with this fresh and brisk white, that includes richness on the palate. White stone fruit as well as vanilla on this youthful palate leading to a fresh finish.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 90/100
- Pernand-Verglesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Super length"
A big, bright fresh and open nose. - a very heavily perfumed wine. Lithe and fresh in the mouth with good mid-palate density. Round, Again a very perfumed fruit. (...) The balance and intensity are good. Super length though. (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Pernand Verglesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2013- Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 90/100
Flint and intense complex notes, a bit of wood evident, but plenty of ripeness. The palate has cool orchard fruits, a lime-like intensity, and a decisive acidity in the finish. Juicy and concentrated. (UK)
- Pernand-Vergelesse 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Intense"High tones, something floral - but a discrete nose. Intense, quite some weight too eventually more round. There's plenty of acidity. But actually, I'd like a little more energy - this wine seems a little too self-absorbed today - that said the finish
is lovely and lingering...
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2012 - Tom Cannavan's Wine Pages - April 2016 - 92
Burgundy, France, Dry White, DIAM, 13.5% abv (2016) This vintage has no UK stockists listed, though the 2013 tasted recently is available and scored 91 points. This retains a touch of green to the colour and has a gorgeous nose, suffused with a little crushed almond and oatmeal, a ripe but crisp apple fruitiness and hint of salty minerality. The palate too has a fine marriage of lean, citrus and saltstreaked clarity allied to gentle nuttiness and fine orchard fruit. A delightful white Burgundy.
- Pernand-Vergelesse 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "Savoury"Cask sample. The nose has some sweetness and bread notes(...). The palate seems sweet and savoury at the same time. Whilst there's no denying the concentration here, it seems to be lacking a bit of energy today - good flavour though.
- Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "En Caradeux" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 91/100While this wine demonstrates the telltale cool element of the appellation, it also offers ripe fruit, pear and peach flavors lightly layered with wood. The wine is crisp at the end, with a mineral aftertaste. Drink from 2016. Online Exclusive (USA)