Beaune 1er Cru"Clos du Roi"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationBeaune Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 ans
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Beaune 'Clos du Roi' is a small 13 hectare vineyard situated to the north of the appellation, and is without doubt one of the best parcels in Beaune. Owned by the dukes of Burgundy and highly favoured by the kings of France, this wine was regularly served at Versailles. During the 15th century upon the death of Charles le Téméraire, the final duke of Burgundy, this parcel of vines passed into the hands of the royal winemakers and therefore became Beaune 'Clos du Roi' (plot (of land) of the king). With a perfect south/south-easterly exposure, the vines are worked traditionally by the winemakers of Domaine Louis Latour.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Beaune Premier Cru « Clos du Rois » 2013 has a ruby color and a floral nose. Kirsch, undergrowth, liquorice are presents as well. This wine is round with cherry and chocolate aromas on the palate. A persistent finish with beautiful tannins.
- Food PairingBeef "bourguignon" - poultry - duck - soft cheeses
- Beaune 1er Cru "Clos du Roi" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17/20
- Beaune 1er Cru "Clos du Roi" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Very tasty wine"
A big, deep nose of opulent dark-red fruit, yet there is freshness here too. Big, round, really flavour-packed and quite long finishing too. A mouth-full of wine, but very tasty wine! Bill Nanson (UK)
- Beaune 1er Cru "Clos du Roi" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 91/100Firm yet
expressive, with cherry, strawberry, floral and mineral flavors saturating the
palate and remaining persistent. Well-balanced, ending with ample fruit and a
chalky, tactile sensation. Best from 2018 through 2029.
- Beaune 1er Cru "Clos du Roi" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 91/100Lean and sinewy, with floral, cherry and raspberry flavors. Opens with air, imparting an elegant feel. Dense tannins and a mineral element emerge on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2025. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)