Beaune 1er Cru"Grèves"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationBeaune Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilChalk and clay
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 ans
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Found amongst the northern vineyards of Beaune, this excellent site overlooks the medieval fortified town of Beaune, that remains to this day the wine capital of Burgundy. Burgundy vineyards named Les Grèves generally designate soils formed of loose rock, fine scree, sand and gravel which are particularly favourable to the cultivation of vines. Our vineyards are located on the gentle slopes of the hill of Beaune next the vineyard of Les Teurons. The clay and limestone soils of Les Grèves suit the Chardonnay grape and contribute to making this wine one of the fullest and richest of the Beaune appellations.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 100% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting Note
- Food PairingFish - shellfish - sweet and savoury dishes - Soumaintrain cheese
- Beaune 1er Cru "Grèves" 2017 - Wine Spectator - July 2019 - "Elegant profile"
This is plump and lightly smoky, exhibiting apple, lemon and spice flavors. The elegant profile and fresh acidity make this an ideal aperitif. Drink now through 2022. — BS
- Beaune 1er Cru "Grèves" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Big"
A nice big aromatic, some oak hints but really plenty of opulent (in a good way) and interesting aromas. Big, silky, I would again say opulent, weighted fruit flavours. Lots of finishing vivacity, indeed minerality, but from the start to the middle I'd really like a little more energy to carry the wine. Bill Nanson (UK)