Monthélie 1er Cru"Clos des Toisières"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationMonthelie Premier cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilBathonian limestone and clay
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- 'Clos des Toisièrese' used to be a small quarry. 'Toisières' is derived from the word 'toit' (roof), and refers to the huge flat stones coming from this quarry sometimes used as roofs. Maison Louis Latour has the monopoly on this climat situated on the higher south-east facing slopes in the pretty little village of Monthélie, hidden away between the vineyards of Meursault and Volnay.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 10% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe Monthelie 1er Cru « Clos des Toisières » 2012 is shimmering pale yellow in colour. The bouquet is full of vanilla and yellow fruit aromas. An elegant wine that unveils subtle sappy hints and a good balance between yellow fruit and minerality.
- Food PairingFish - shellfish - poultry - mature cheeses
- Monthélie "Clos des Toisières” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 88/100There is good volume and mid-palate concentration to the round, rich and delicious flavors that offers reasonably good depth and enough length to be interesting;