Grands EchézeauxGrand Cru
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationGrands Echézeaux Grand Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 40 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield30hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential10-15 years
- Serving temperature 16-17°
- This exquisite red wine comes from the parcel of Grands Echézeaux located between Vosne-Romanée to the north and Vougeot to the south in the Côte de Nuits area. The soil of these parcel is mainly composed of clay and limestone. Grands Echézeaux is an exquisite red wine that is robust, solid and completely harmonious. It is always a great wine to age.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 100% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOf a deep colour (ruby/garnet), the Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru 2011 offers aromas of mocha, toasted bread, liquorice and black berries accompanied with a hint of undergrowth. It is a powerful and persistent wine in the mouth with notes of chocolate and peppermint.
- Food PairingRoasted lamb - rib-eye steak - game - mature cheeses
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 92/100
A discreet application of wood sets off more reticent aromas that are also markedly spicy and floral with notably ripe fruit characters of black cherry and plum. There is good richness but also fine detail to the more subtly mineral-inflected flavors that possess that beguiling quality of inner mouth perfume while terminating in a sneaky long finish where the only nit is a subtle touch of warmth. This classy effort should age gracefully. 2033+
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 90/100
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 94/100
This wine is dark and structured, offering ripe fruits although they are covered at this stage by the tannins. Firm and dense, with a dry core, this will be a powerful wine full of black fruits and concentration. Drink this from 2023.
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2015 - Wine Spectator - October 2017 - 95/100
Supple and dense, offering beautiful cherry, mineral, earth and spice flavors. Harmonious and superlong in the aftertaste, lending this an air of approachability, yet this is well-structured and built for the long haul. (USA)
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17/20
Château Corton Grancey Grand Cru 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17+/20Château Corton Grancey Grand Cru 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17+/20
- Grand Echezeaux Grand Cru 2014 - Robert Parker - September 2016 - 90/100
The 2014 Grands Echezeaux Grand Cru has a deeper color than the Echezeaux. It has an intense nose with scents of black cherry, red plum and iodine, the oak nicely integrated, although it will need 3-4 years to fully integrate. The palate is medium-bodied with sappy red berry fruit, pleasant salinity and spice, good body as you would expect and plenty of substance on the finish to suggest this should repay 2-3 years in the cellar. Drink: 2019 - 2029 (USA)
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 93/100
This is spicier than the Ech with really lovely red cherry, floral and sandalwood scents. There is excellent richness on the intense broad-shouldered flavors that possess fine delineation and an abundance of minerality on the complex and impressively long finish. Like several of the wines in the range this is expressly built-to-age and once again, it's going to need it. /2026+
- Grands Echezeaux Grand Cru 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 17.5/20Pale crimson. Quite evolved nose. Soft and gentle; the tannins are almost swamped by a tidal wave of fruit. Lovely stuff! But oddly approachable already! Drink 2018-2030 (cask sample) UK
- Grand Echézeaux Grand Cru 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 92/100Despite the restrained quality of the cool and pure red berry fruit the breath of spice influence is dramatic. There is excellent complexity, intensity and power to the large-scaled and well-detailed medium-bodied flavors that culminate in a mouth coating finish that delivers excellent length and finely wrought balance. Lovely if not reference standard juice. 2022+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Grand Echézeaux Grand Cru 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 92/100A slightly more elegant but no more complex nose of red berry liqueur, earth and a broad range of spices gives way to big, rich and muscular flavors that possess plenty of tannin-buffering dry extract on the admirably long finish. This is also really quite good. 2021+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2007 - Wine Spectator - 2010 - 91/100This shows herbal and waxy flavors more than pure fruit, with prominent tannins that end up dry and slightly astringent on the finish. Overall, there's a hardness to this. Best from 2013 through 2023. 25 cases made.
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2005 - Wine Advocate - May 2007 - 89/100Representing the purchase of a mere two barrels (50 cases), a Latour 2005 Grands Echezeaux smells of candied cherry, roasted meats and a resinous hint of new wood. In the mouth, this exhibits polish and elegance, with plenty of fresh cherry and raspberry fruit as well as marrowy meatiness in the finish. (USA)
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 92/100Wood spice, dark plum and cassis aromas of evident class and purity set the stage for the rich, full, sweet and moderately structured flavors that offer excellent punch and persistence but not shee concentration and depth of material that the Chambertin brings to the table. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Grands Echézeaux Grand Cru 2001 - Wine Advocate - June 30th, 2003 - 91-93/100Copious quantities of red and black cherries make up the 2001 Grands-Echézeaux's aromatic and flavor profiles. Lush, supple, and spicy. Highly expressive, it dominatesthe palate with its sweet candied fruit, enveloping its ripe tannin so that it is barely noticeable. It is the finest red I've tasted from this producer. (USA)