Volnay 1er Cru"Les Mitans"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationVolnay Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 25 years
- Average yield35hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- This wine originates in the township of Volnay just south of Beaune and is a neighbour of Pommard. The vineyard is located in the middle of the hillside between Volnay and the main road "D974" Beaune - Châlon-sur-Saône, hence its name, in Old French "Mitan" meaning "middle". This wine from Domaine Louis Latour, fine and elegant, is among the best wines of the Côte de Beaune.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteWith a deep ruby-red colour, our Volnay 1er Cru « Les Mitans » 2016 reveals subtle hints of undergrowth, blackcurrant and liquorice. In the mouth, it is characterized by aromas of blackcurrant. Mint and red berries aromas confer freshness and beautiful tannins to this wine.
- Food PairingSuckling pig - knuckle of veal - mature cheeses
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Lovely wine""
A big and open aromatic - perfumed with flowers - it's lovely. Direct, intense, beautiful red fruit, really achingly good in the mid-palate. Slowly fading and narrowing but persistent all the same - just lovely wine! Bill Nanson (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 89/100A pretty red, showing floral, strawberry and earth notes. Spice accents emerge as this firms up on the moderately long finish. Stays elegant and focused. Best from 2017 through 2026.
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100Supple and elegant, with light spice notes shading the cherry and floral flavors. Features good structure, showing vibrant energy and solid length. Best from 2015 through 2026.
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2010 - Decanter - March 2013 - 16/20 (86/100)Perfumed, floral and ripe cherry nose. Energetic, good texture and density. Slightly green tannins. Broad wine with precision, depth and a good future. To drink: 2016-2024
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 93/100A beam of pure cherry, with raspberry and floral accent, highlights this effusive red. Vibrant, fruity and beautifully put-together, yet also built for aging. Fine length. Best from 2015 through 2032. (USA)