Volnay 1er Cru"En Chevret"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationVolnay Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 25 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-15 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- This wine originates in the village of Volnay, south of Beaune and neighbour to Pommard. The "En Chevret" parcel of vines is located below the main road, just under the "Caillerets" parcel at the border of the village of Meursault. The easterly exposition and the specific terroir of this single vineyard give us an elegant wine at each vintage.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteRuby in colour this fine wine has a delicate nose with fruit and vegetal notes. It has soft tannins and strong structure supported by plump spicy wood flavours.
- Food PairingVeal with cream and morels - game - mature cheeses
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
- Volnay 1er Cru " En Chevret" 2019 - 90 pts - Burghound April 2021
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2019 - The Wine Advocate - 89/91 pts
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Fragrant and delicate, this has beautiful red-fruit character that's currently more open on the palate than the nose. Very elegant with plenty of fine tannins that are married to lively acidity and pronounced minerality at the long, focused finish. Drink or hold.
- Volnay 1er Cru " En Chevret" 2019 - 90 pts - Burghound April 2021
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2019 - The Wine Advocate - 89/91 pts
"Bursting with notes of earthy cherries, flowers and spices, the 2019 Volnay 1er Cru En Chevret is medium-bodied, supple and charming, with an enveloping core of fruit and a long, lively finish. This is one of the more elegant wines in the range this year."
- Volnay "En Chevret" Premier Cru 2018 - 93/100 - Wine Enthusiast 2018
Only faint notes of ripe, red cherry come through at first. The palate of this wine does not hold back and presents aromatic, tart red cherry on a taut, slender palate. Although the warmth of the fruit exemplifies 2018, it was captured with freshness and aroma. Tannins are silky and the finish is firm and fresh.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - 93/100 - Wine Enthusiast
- Volnay 1er Cru " En Chevret" 2018, 94/100, James Suckling
Lots of rich, spicy flavors of ripe strawberries with some tile and soil. It's medium-to full-bodied with a tight palate and fine, compressed tannins. Racy and long. Drink after 2022.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - 92 pts - Wine Spectator May 2021
A thickly-textured, chalky red. Black cherry, blueberry, graphite, earth and spice notes run into beefy tannins, with a crisp, compact finish. Give this time. Best from 2024 through 2038.— BS
- Volnay 1er "En Chevret" 2018 - Tim Atkin - January 2020 - 90/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 90/100
This is extremely ripe with port-like aromas of poached plum and cassis. There is better freshness on the palate of the detailed and lightly mineral-inflected flavors... 2028+
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 91+/100
Mingling scents of cassis and raspberries with hints of black truffle, dark chocolate and rich soil tones, the 2018 Volnay 1er Cru En Chevret is medium to full-bodied, rich and nicely concentrated, with succulent acids and powdery structuring tannins. This is a ripe, generous but nicely integrated Volnay that will drink well young.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Yum!"
Quite a big nose, there's energy and lots of interesting complexity. Drive, direct, but also a wine of width, faintly drying tannin but no grain to the tannin. A wine of volume - a rounder, more mouth-filling Epenots - almost! Again a very fine and persistent finishing flavour. Yum!
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2018 - Jancis Robinson - Januaray 2020 - 16.5/20
Cask sample. Very dark crimson with purple rim. Lovely fragrant rocky black fruit. Dry, refined, just enough flesh. Might be almost too elegant for those who like more fleshy red fruits. There's almost something a bit northern Rhône about this. Just a little dry on the finish but the tannins are fine as dust. (JH, UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 92/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 92/100Lots of blueberries, blackberries, lavender, and fresh mint on the nose. Full body, tar and berry flavors with juicy fruit and round tannins at the same time. Just before bottling. Drink after 2021.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - Wine Spectator - March 2020 - 92/100
A solid Volnay, with cherry, currant, mineral and spice flavors, featuring dense, resonant tannins. Though this is a bit rigid and chunky, the intense fruit shines throughout. Ends with cherry and spice notes. - Bruce Sanderson
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2019 - 93/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - 91/100
The 2017 Volnay 1er Cru En Chevret bursts with attractive aromas of licorice, sweet cherry fruit, forest floor and cassis. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and generous, with an open-knit core of ripe fruit, succulent acids and fine tannins. It's one of the high points of the portfolio. (cask sample)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 15.5+/20
Very firm tannins - to the point of bitterness. A rather severe Volnay! Drink: 2025 - 2032 (cask sample)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2017 - Burgundy Report, Bill Nanson (UK) - January 2019 - "Great"
Lots of colour. A much more modest nose - lightly, floral. Big in the mouth, again very intense - here with more tannin. Great but wait 2 years. (Bill Nanson, UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 93/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Burghound.com - April 2018 - 91/100
Excellent volume and midpalate density to the bigger and tautly muscular flavors that possess a velvety mouth feel... This is very Corton in style.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 92/100A lovely touch of Morello cherry hovers. The fine, slender palate blossoms with the same pure fruit. Bright freshness lightens everything and leaves a lovely sense of fine grip. Very elegant, very moreish. - Anne Krebiehl MW
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 92/100This is very fragrant on the nose. Violets and black fruits. But it has a firm tannin structure, which makes this quite austere at the finish. Plenty of good flavors in here and this may be better from 2019.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16/20Drink 2017-2021
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 91/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017 A little more width, a little more relaxed nose - but still a pure punch of fruit. Direct, melting flavour, the structure is quite forward too but will fade - this has so much energy and a super complexity. Super wine, finishing more composed but still fresh...
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 90/100
There is both density and class to the nose, robust red fruit without betraying Volnay, quite a significant mouthful of fruit, muscular but this works. Quite a few tannins, this should evolve well. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 94/100 Cellar Selection
This wine is firm yet ripe, with a bold yet tight character that foreshadows a rich wine in the future. The cherry and red plum flavors are lush and generous. It is going to be a delicious wine, full of concentration. (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2015 - Wine Spectator Insider - August 2017 - 94/100
A round profile embraces rose, cherry, raspberry and kirsch flavors. Complex and silky, giving way to firm tannins on the finish, leaving a lightly astringent feel. Best from 2020 through 2033.-B.S. - USA
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 91/100
There is fine richness to the rounded, suave and generously proportioned flavors where the seductive mid-palate contrasts considerably with the firm, moderately rustic and mildly austere finale. 2023+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 16/20
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 91/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2014 - James Suckling - January 2017 - 94/100
A beautiful Volnay with all the richness and generosity you could hope for. Medium to full body, velvety tannins and a juicy, smoky finish. Bright acidity backbone underneath. Drink in 2020.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 92/100
There are dark tannins here, although they are embedded in the ripe black fruits. This wine is solid and firm, the acidity giving the essential freshness. The fruitiness and the plush texture are taking their time to show. Drink from 2020.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 93/100
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2014 - Wine Spectator - October 2016 - 90/100
Though firm and dense, this red offers a fleshy coating of black cherry, blackberry and earth flavors. Still a bit tight on the finish, but forward overall. Drink now through 2023. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Super complexity and life"
There is a little dark mineral at the base (..) More energy here a little less direct focus, but super complexity and life. The tannin has a suggestion of dryness at the edges yet remains very finely textured. Very, very impressive length. By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2013 - Decanter - April 2016 - 92/100
Big bright aromas of ripe fruit and a little green herb. Just a few minutes in the glass and the fruit becomes airy - almost ethereal. The palate is more velvet than silk, the tannins slowly building from a smooth start, but what beautifully cushioned tannins! The fruit is fresh with floral inflections: a proper Volnay. It needs a few years for the tannic texture to loosen its grip, but it has fine flavor, particularly on the finish where it blends with a slightly herbal character. Drink 2018-2040.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 92/100This
shows a wonderful deep center palate with firm and chewy tannins. Full to
medium body plus a solid core of fruit. Persistent finish that grows on the
palate. Excellent. One-fourth the production. Drink in 2017.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Lovely wine"Very fine clarity of dark red berries - this is lovely. Fills the mouth with ‘shape' but not weight or texture - here is a fine and high-toned fruit with lovely acidity. There is some faint grain to the tannin but it's ripe enough. A width of high-toned long-finishing flavour. Lovely wine...
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 91/100 (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - "Good density"A more elegant nose of spicy and ripe dark currant aromas displays background nuances of menthol and earth. There is good density and plenty of dry extract to the mouth coating flavors that evidence a very mild hint of astringency on the slightly austere finish. It's possible that the recent bottling is responsible for the sense of astringency. 2018+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "just a beautiful wine"Deeper colour. The nose has much darker coloured and deeper fruit aromas than the Aloxe - hints of flowers too. The palate is like biting into a big, black, juicy cherry. Soft tannin, plenty of flavour dimension - just a beautiful wine. - Bill Nanson
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16/20Very dark crimson. Quite intense nose and crackling, lively fruit with firm structure. I wouldn't pick it as a typical Volnay; seems relatively aggressive but pretty impressive for its impact. Drink 2016-2022 (cask sample) UK
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 94/100 (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 89/100An elegant style, sporting floral, strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors. A few tannins go a long way, perhaps because this red is so delicate, leaving a light astringency on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2025. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 91/100An earthy and brooding nose of plum and wild dark berries merges into seductively textured and velvety middle weight flavors that exude a very fine minerality. There is a fine sense of volume to the vibrant, balanced and solidly persistent finish that offers better complexity. A classic Volnay of finesse. 2018+
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 89/100The earth character continues onto the delicious, elegant and refined flavors that possess lacy tannins and a lilting mouth feel before terminating in a balanced, persistent and solidly complex finish. Structurally this is a classic Volnay though from a flavor profile standpoint there is more earth character than I typically find with this appellation, at least at present. 2016+ By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 92/100Strawberry and wild cherry aromas and flavors highlight this delicate yet firm red. Linear and long, with an aftertaste of flowers and spice. Best from 2016 through 2030.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Decanter - March 2013 - 16.75/20 (89/100)Elegantly balanced, mid-weight, lively red fruit and firm tannins. Oak is well blended in. Solid Volnay with suppleness of fruit. To drink: 2014-2024
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 89/100Rich, round and concentrated, this is developing fast. The acidity is already comfortably embedded in the ripe red-berry fruit. (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5/20Succulent, juicy red cherry fruit. Nice crisp acid and dry tannins make for an appetising finish. Good purity. Drink 2013-2017. By Richard Hemming (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - International Wine Challenge - May 2013 - Gold MedalMulti-layered and aromatic. Black cherry, vanilla, Asiatic spice and woodland. Full flavoured and long with great intensity and chewy tannins. Will reward cellaring. (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2010 - Wine Tomas Word Press - December 2012Nose: strawberries, some other red berries (including red currants), flowery.
Palate: strawberries, sour berry impression, good acidity, medium tannins, sour berry notes in the aftertaste.
By Tomas (Word Press - Sweden)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - Wine & Spirits Magazine - October 2012 - 90/100A ripe and generous Volnay, this wine's light spice elevates the flavors of red cherries through a clean finish. The soft tannins will match roast quail. (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 92/100This red has some flesh to its bones, with flavors of black cherry, raspberry, peppery spice and mineral. Firm finish. Best from 2015 through 2030. (USA)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 89/100A high-toned nose of fresh and airy red pinot fruit liberally cut with mineral notes that continue onto the rich, intense and vibrant flavors that are blessed with good dry extract that buffers the moderately firm tannic spine on the attractively long finish. This is very Volnay in character and should drink well relatively early. 2015+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - The Star Online - March 2011Red fruits, stewed fruit, spices, star anise, smoke and Chinese herbs. Savoury finish. By Ed Soon
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - Decanter - February 2011 - 17/20(GOOD VALUE CHOICE) Ripe nose of cherries and a whiff of bubblegum. Juicy, concentrated, and tannic, with rude vigour and plenty of spice; long peppery finish. Drink 2013-2020. By Stephen Brook (UK).
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16/20Drink 2013-2017: Mild, polished nose. Soothing and quite forward. Weightier than many a Volnay with lots of rewarding fruit. Early maturing. Slightly sour note on the end - hint of rhubarb. (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2008 - Wine Spectator - May 2011 - 90/100This is supple, but with grip too, giving the cherry, raspberry and spice flavors form and definition. Finishes with a touch of oak spice along with a mineral component. Best from 2013 through 2024.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - April 2010 - 86-89/100Here the vegetal component is stronger though it does not dominate the otherwise pretty and very fresh red berry fruit aromas. (86-89)/2015+
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2008 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2010 - 15/20Medium ruby. Lovely, very Volnay, cherry-stone fruit on the nose; balanced, fine, silky, fully ripe, and with reasonable length. - NB.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 93/100Beautifully aromatic nose of sweet, perfumed, pure cherry fruit. The palate is silky and elegant with ripe cherry fruit. Really expressive, and finishing nicely spicy.
- Volany 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2007 - Wine Spectator - November 2009 - 89/100A juicy, integrated version, with black currant and black cherry aromas and flavors. The light tannins add some grip on the finish and earthy, herbal accents linger. Best from 2011 through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 88/100A ripe though not especially elegant nose offers up rather somber and restrained dark berry fruit aromas that are followed by textured and sappy flavors that are quite firm and even a touch rustic. While not an unbalanced effort, it's seems clear that this is at an awkward stage so soon after bottling. 2013+
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret” 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 91/100Not surprisingly, this is aromatically more elegant with a fresh, airy and pure nose of extract of red pinot fruit that precedes moderately reserved, sweet and equally pure flavors that are almost delicate and finish with fine focus and length. This is an understated effort that is very Volnay in character. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16/20Fresh red fruit on the mid palate, fresh and spicy, but grainy tannins stand out on the finish. Drink 2009-12. (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 15/20
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2005 - Wine Spectator - October 2007 - 92/100 - The Top 100The Top 100 - Our annual round up of the year's most exciting wines
Very pure, elegant and harmonious, with violet, rose, blackberry and boysenberry flavors and a hint of spice. As silky as this is, the well-integrated tannins offer support. Drink now through 2020.
- Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" 2005- Burghound.com - April 2007 - 89/100The nose is a step up in aromatic complexity with a layered fruit quality that includes notes of earth, minerality and underbrush where the stony character continues onto the rich, full and sweet flavors that are very Volnay in style. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- 2003 Volnay En Chevret - Wine Spectator - May 15th, 2006 - 89 points :A burst of cassis and blackberry introduce this sappy red. It's almost chewy, with lush, ripe fruit that matches its dense tannins. It's hard to state its origins, but it's appealing. Drink now through 2012.
- 2002 Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" - Wine Spectator - May 15th, 2005 - 90 points :Plenty of juicy, sour cherry and raspberry notes, matched to vivid structure. Really elegant, offering ripe tannins but very lively acidity. Subtle lengh on the finish. Drink now through 2009.
- 2001 Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret" - Burghound.com" - April 2004 - 87 points :Quite ripe for the vintage, espacially from Volnay wih sweet and rich earthy fruit notes followed by elegant, supple and long flavors that display only a hint of the astringency that so many "01s from Volnay possess. 87/2006+.