Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru"Les Chaillots"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationAloxe-Corton Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone, alluvial sand and gravel
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential10-15 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Aloxe-Corton is the home village of the Latour family who have been closely involved in the affairs of the commune for over three centuries. Of the total hectarage of this Premier Cru, the Domaine Louis Latour control over 13% of production centred on the famous Château and cuverie of Corton-Grancey. These vines are an important part of the Domaine Louis Latour. The name "Les Chaillots" refers to the stony, pebbly nature of the soil in this vineyard, as "caillou" means pebble in french. There is an alliance in the wines of Aloxe-Corton between the finesse of a Côte de Beaune and the mellow, powerful appeal of the Côte de Nuits.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteA distinguished colour, with complex and intense aromas of black cherries, blackcurrants, mushrooms and hints of leather, pepper and spicey oak. A powerful and refined fruit intensity on the palate, this wine is well structured with firm, solid tannins and a long, elegant finish. A wine which will give immense pleasure now and for many years to come.
- Food PairingGame birds - poultry - mature cheeses
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 92/100A muscular red with dark berries, black tea and walnut skin on the nose and palate. Turns fruity, juicy and flavorful at the end with plenty of dried strawberries. Drink after 2021.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 91/100
Very fine, pure nose of tart cranberry and dark, brooding peony. The palate is fine-boned but has concentration nonetheless. Tannins are super-fine, the palate is super-fresh, all very elegant and understand, with a lasting finish. - Anne Krebiehl MW
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100Another generous and firmly structured wine from Louis Latour. Has bright acidity but it'll need some time for all this to knit together. A long, dramatic finish. Shows excellent potential.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16/20Drink 2018-2023
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 91/100
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017
Oof - like a redcurrant concentrate - purity but it's hard to compute the concentration. A little gas, but width and freshness of flavour - really some complexity. A wine to wait for and so juicy in the finish too - bravo!
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 90/100
Bright mid purple. Fresh and lively fruit. Excellent concentration of fruit on the palate, just 12.5 hl/ha, a few tannins but well woven into the fruit, some crunch at the back, impressively long finish. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 92/100
The wine is dense with fine concentration and a solid dry tannin character at the back. It is full of black fruits and balanced acidity. Its richness reflects the quality of the vintage and its aging potential. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2015 - James Suckling - April 2017- 92/100
Aromas of blackberries, leaves and spices. some meat. Medium body, firm and silky tannins and a savory finish. A little tight and shy. Better in 2021.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017
This is agreeably fresh and relatively bright with its notes of red currant, lilac, earth and hint of forest floor. The sleek, delicious and vibrant medium weight flavors possess acceptably good depth and persistence on the discreet stony and youthfully austere finish. 2021+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Very intense and long finishing"
A deep nose, just a little mineral - really an attractive fruit. More direct but well padded and really very intense and long finishing - this will need a little patience, but it's really excellent - fine length as you would expect in this vintage. (Not yet bottled). Bill Nanson (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2014 - James Suckling - January 2017- 92/100
Vivid aromas of crushed raspberries and strawberries follow through to a medium to full body, firm and silky tannins and a fresh finish. Lovely bright acid backbone. Drink in 2018.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 91/100
This wine is firm and structured, with dark tannins and a dense texture that is still dry. It offers ripe fruit as well as acidity, currently overshadowed by the tannins but will come to the fore with some time. The wine will age well, thanks to the solid structure and dry core of tannins. Drink from 2020.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 91/100
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "A big flavoured wine"
A rather tighter nose, more red-fruited. More energy, more focus, again red fruited with an insinuating complexity. More tannin impression but some silkiness - a smooth coating on the teeth. A big flavoured wine and lots of fun. (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 89/100This is also agreeably fresh with an airy nose that is comprised by notes of red and dark currant, earth and a hint of the sauvage. There is outstanding vibrancy to the well-defined yet suave medium weight flavors that culminate in a moderately rustic and austere finish where the supporting tannins are chewy and slightly tough. /2022+
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots” 2013 - Burghound.com - April 2015 - 90/100
Once again there is noticeable oak present along with the associated menthol character that does little to enhance the appeal of the otherwise attractive black pinot fruit and floral suffused nose. There is good volume as well as fine mid-palate concentration to the middle weight flavors that possess good if not truly special depth on the rustic and mildly drying finish though this could very well be due to the abundant gas. /2021+
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 92/100This
is muscular and rich with dark berry, dark chocolate and mineral character.
Medium to full-bodied, chewy and long. Needs two or three years to soften.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Very fine!"A beautiful nose of some weight and florality and fainter herbs - fine. Here is more structure, more dryness to the tannin (no whole cluster though) but fine intensity and a clear extra length and complexity. A little more austere than the last wines but it will be very fine!
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016 - May 2016 - Bronze Medal
A mature and delicate nose of blackberries, blueberries, cedar wood and caramel. A mineral driven palate followed by ground coffee bean characters. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - International Wine Challenge 2016 - May 2016 - Bronze Medal
Charming light red fruit aromas, soft and supple mid-palate, very approachable. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2015 - 91/100This dense wine has a strong sense of dry tannins as well as red-berry acidity. It is balanced, in keeping with the cherry and strawberry fruits. The acidity, cutting through, keeps the wine bright and fruity. The end is strawberry jam with attractive acidity. Drink from 2018. By Roger Voss (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 90/100On the elegant side, with some punch to the cherry, strawberry, spice and tobacco flavors. The tannins are refined and this shows balance and length. Best from 2017 through 2026.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Apstein on Wine - December 2014 - 93/100Louis
Latour, top-notch négociant established in 1797, is based in the
Aloxe-Corton. Since their founding, have been able to purchase prime
plots there, so it's not surprising that they make excellent wines from
vineyards in that village. Les Chaillots, just down from hill from the
Grand Cru, Corton-Grèves, is one of the village's best Premier Cru sites.
Latour's 2012, very perfumed and elegant, delivers the density of flavor expect
from this concentrated vintage without losing the delicate, almost lacey,
texture emblematic of this vineyard. This is a classy Premier Cru,
deserving of its stature. Michael Apstein (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "the flavour is lovely!"Here the aromas are redder - but still quite dark red. In the mouth this is also red-fruited and sterner/harder faced than the Beaune - mainly due to a higher level of minerality - this flavour is lovely!
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 90/100A ripe and fresh if somewhat atypical nose is comprised of red pinot fruit and earth aromas that are set against a backdrop of menthol and wood. There is a relatively refined mouth feel to the lightly mineral-infused middle weight flavors that culminate in a dusty, firm and only mildly rustic finish. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16/20Notably pale ruby. Light cherry aromas. Friendly and quite open. Low in tannin and relatively low in acidity. I could enjoy it almost immediately. Persistent. Drink 2015-2020 (cask sample) UK
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillos" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 93/100 (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton "Les Chaillots" 2011 - Neil Bennett - December 2017 - "Excellent value"
For the elegance I am staying in Burgundy and plumping for the Louis Latour Aloxe-Corton 2011 Les Chaillots. I know that as a big producer Louis Latour attracts mixed reviews but it does have access to some of Burgundy's finest grapes, and this Aloxe-Corton is an absolute stunner that's guaranteed to restore anyone's faith in the region. Les Chaillots is a vineyard that sits just yards away from the Grand Cru vineyards of Corton and sits on the south-west of the hill., so this is prime real estate. Not cheap, but excellent value for what it is and drinking perfectly. By Neil Bennett (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2011 - Food and Travel - May 2016 - "Power and Finesse"
Power and finesse with damson and licorice. Tannins structured with real grip, core of mineral acidity leading to juice at the end. Enjoy with guinea fowl or grouse. By Adam Lechmere (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2011 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 90/100
Lighter and more open in colour, and has a lot more truffle and earthiness, and then it is juicy and ripe on the palate but a lovely length and purity, with lots of acidity and freshness, the wood felt as just a tiny balsamic note. Has more light and shade than the 2010s, but perhaps less structure and fruit concentration. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 88/100An attractively fresh, cool and restrained nose features notes of purple fruit, especially plum along with plenty of warm earth and game notes. There is good volume and solid mid-palate concentration to the supple, round and delicious flavors that terminate in a mildly austere finish that offers good length and acceptable depth. 2017+
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 90/100A difficult nose of wood toast and reduction renders it impossible to correctly assess though there is good verve and richness to the lightly mineral-suffused middle weight flavors that possess good phenolic maturity on the seductively textured, dusty and balanced finish that offers good to very good persistence. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online USA - October 2013 - 88/100Red berry aromas and flavors highlight this delicate yet firm red. Graceful and expressive, with a dusty feel on the finish. Best from 2015 through 2023.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2010 - My Wine And More - August 2013 - 89/100Bright ruby. Elegant, red berries and nuanced nose. Fresh acidity, ripe tannins, elegant, fruity and lively, good length.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16/20Lots of fruit on display, and a pretty showy oak character to match. Light, refined, austere acid despite the ripeness of fruit. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2009 - Wine Spectator - February 2012 - 91/100A rich, juicy style, featuring black cherry and blackberry flavors tinged with mineral and spice notes. This turns a little firm on the finish, but is balanced overall, with plenty of sweet fruit up front. Long, stony finish. Best from 2014 through 2024. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 88/100 A ripe and mildly spicy red berry fruit nose gives way to round, supple and reasonably rich medium-bodied flavors that possess good mid-palate volume as well as a delicious, balanced and persistent finish. There is a much better sense of energy here if only average depth. 2015+. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2009 - Chris Kissack - January 2011 - 16.5-17/20This is vibrant and youthful, with a good depth of colour. And the nose is dense and spicy, with a primary fruit character, moving from red fruits into black, but still with lots of life, reminiscent of fresh forest fruits crushed over stone. Rather solid and ungiving in terms of substance on the palate, releasing a little in the middle but only to reveal a little sweet, perfumed, gritty fruit substance which is certainly welcome. This has an appealing, compact and substantial style. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16.5/20They own 5ha of this vineyard! Mid ruby - already looks quite developed. Ferns and green undergrowth on the nose. Very positive with real intent. Reminds me a little of a 2006. Not as luscious and round as some 2006s but good vitality. Drink 2013-2018. (USA)
- Aloxe Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2008 - International Wine Challenge 2012 - Silver medalFresh flavours, delicate style. Light red fruits, cream, a bit diluted. Some green tannins but nice length. (Uk)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2008 - Wine Spectator - April 2011 - 89/100This is smooth, displaying sweet cherry, spice and mineral aromas and flavors. This firms up on the finish, but a year in the bottle should help. Nice length. Best from 2012 through 2020. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2008 - Burghound.com - April 2010 - 86-89/100An exceptionally fresh and very pinot nose offers up high-toned red berry fruit aromas that complement the detailed and softly stony light to barely middle weight flavors that possess good punch and vibrancy on the delicious and dusty finish. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 88/100An attractively fresh nose features a very pinot nose that is nuanced with hints of earth and a touch of crushed leaf that gives way to round, supple and delicious flavors that also possess a touch of vegetal yet rather than being a sign of under ripeness, it seems to add a touch of depth to the solidly persistent finish. 2012+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2006 - Vin Mat & Vanner - 90/100Mature aroma. Dark berries and good oak integration. Nice acidity balance.
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2006 - Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 - 87-90/100Ripe cherry and plum notes on an elegant frame. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots” 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 87/100Classic light ruby color. The nose is a mélange of high-toned berry aromas with undertones of earth and crushed dried herb that complement the moderately rustic, round and rich flavors that culminate in a chewy but not aggressive finish. Solid. 2012+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - TheFineWineTimes.com - February 11th, 2010 - "Full-bodied and quite powerful"Nicely aged and developed with a savory edge this wine is just starting to get good. Bright redcurrant and black cherry aromas paired with interesting vegetal and fresh mushroom notes. Full-bodied and quite powerful with a melange of forest berries held together by a taut but refined structure of medium-tannins and highish acidity. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Decanter World Wine Awards - October 2008 - Commended
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Wine Enthusiast - May 2008 - 88/100
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Wine Spectator - January 2008 - 89/100Attractive center of cherry, raspberry and red currant has a cloak of tannins and bright acidity framing it. All the elements are there to make an elegant, mineraltinged red in time. Good length. Best from 2012 through 2022. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 88/100It's aromatically deep with an attractive nose of red and black fruit notes nuanced by hints of violets and warm earth that merge into delicious, round and sweet flavors that possess good volume and plenty of finishing punch on the slightly rustic backend. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Wine Advocate - May 2007 - 87/100The 2005 Aloxe-Corton "Les Chaillots" - from Latour's holdings just below their Corton and among the last-harvested of these 2005 - displays a nose of toasted hickory, almond and cherries with their pits. It exhibits real grip, satisfying bitter-sweet fruit, and chalky minerality. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 16.5/20 Pure, aromatic, fruit aromas. Lots of lovely pure fruit on the palate too. Sweet and long. Drink 2008-12. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 86/100A somber and reserved nose reluctanly reveals notes of mocha, chocolate and tobacco undertones on top of the very ripe plum aromas that continue on to he rustic, muscular and robust flavors, all wrapped in somewhat coarse tannins. This is an admirably powerful wine but somewhat pedestrian as well. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Aloxe Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2003 - Wine Spectator - May 2006 - 88/100Ripe and chewy, displaying black cherry, licorice adn mineral aromas and flavors backed up by dense tannins. Appealing in a more rustic way, with some heat on the finish now. It begs for roast duck. Drink now through 2015.n (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillot" 2003 - Wine Advocate - Issue 158 - 89/100Medium to dark ruby-coloured this red wine explodes from the glass with candied black cherries and violets. Medium-bodied and chewy-textured, this wine is crammed with roasted plums, black cherries and blackberries. Pure, fruit-forward and densely-packed, it also reveals a long, expressive, sweet finish. Projected maturity : 2006-2014. (USA)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 88/100Bright focused cherryish fruit on the nose. The palate is ripe and juicy with sweet cherry fruit and some spicy grip. This is a lighter style with some appeal, and a bit of structure. (UK)
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 2000 - Burghound.com - April 2003 - 86/100Bright red berry aromas lead to richer, denser, richer flavors though this finishes with slightly dry, firm finishing tannins. There is a bit more material here but this will need a year or two to achieve the same balance displayed by the Aloxe villages. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru "Les Chaillots" 1999 - Wine International - July 2004 - 84/100An earthy, plummy nose. Drink 2004-2006.