- RegionCôte de Beaune
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone containing high proportions of iron
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 14-15°
- Lying just beneath the hill of Beaune, the vine-growing areas of Savigny-les-Beaune fall into two areas. The first is in the south adjacent to Beaune and the other is in the north bordering on the appellation of Aloxe-Corton. The red wines of Savigny are very like those of Beaune.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 10% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteWith a deep ruby red colour, the Savigny lès Beaune 2010 is minty and peppery on the nose with good tannic structure on tasting, and cherry stone flavours on the finish. A pretty wine which is very expressive.
- Food PairingGrilled meat - mature cheeses
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 -"Refreshing and delicious finale"
There is a mentholated top note to the more elegant essence of red and black raspberry aromas that are abundantly laced with earth characters. The lighter weight flavors are not as dense but offer even better energy on the well-detailed, refreshing and delicious finale. 2024+
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Very attractive"
Very attractive. Depth of flavour. Savigny is a great source in 2018 - here is another one.
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2017 - Wine Spectator - May 2020 - 90/100 Top Value
Rich, with cherry, raspberry, spice and earth aromas and flavors. Reveals a tangy quality, in part due to the vibrant acidity. Shows fine balance and length. Drink now through 2030 - Bruce Sanderson
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2017 - Burgundy Report, Bill Nanson (UK) - January 2019 - "Bravo!"
Great colour. Hmm, that's nicely vibrant, dark-red fruited, great fruit actually. Some gas, mouth-filling volume - a touch of herb but not much - this has great energy and fruit - bravo! A nice finishing tannin too. (Bill Nanson, UK)
- Savigny-les-Beaune Rouge 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 15,5/20Drink 2018-2021
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017Deep, concentrated, almost meaty aromas - yet with a certain attractive freshness. Big in the mouth, supple, growing in both concentration and intensity. This is quite a wine - a little salinity in the finish. Non-standard, absolutely impressively concentrated Savigny.
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2015 - Independent - UK - August 2018 - "Classic red Burgundy"
A classic red Burgundy, which is packed with bright raspberry flavours. (By Terry Kirby)
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 90/100
The wine is ripe with red-cherry and plum flavors and plenty of acidity to balance. It is a rounded wine, generous with fruitiness and with a touch of tan-nin at the end. This is a fine village wine from this attractive appellation. (USA)
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 88/100
This is agreeably fresh with its layered array of red currant, floral and markedly earth-scented nose. There is even better delineation to the vibrant flavors that terminate in a similarly softly austere finale. This is on the lighter side but I like the flavor authority and punch. 2019+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 88/100
Ripe and fruity with a velvet texture that encompasses the tannins easily, this is a rounded, rich wine. The balance of fruit and acidity is already attractive. Drink from 2018.
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2014 - Wine Spectator - October 2016 - 89/100
A bright, succulent version, delivering floral, strawberry, raspberry and spice flavors. Lean and taut, with a lingering, tactile finish. Drink now through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Savigny-les-Beaune rouge 2011 - 2014 Sommelier Wine Awards - Bronze MedalFull of texture, soft red fruits and savoury character, Riccardo Giacomelli of Bocca di Lupo notes: ‘Rose and mineral palate, with good length. Match with duck breast in wine sauce.' (UK)
- Savigny-les-Beaune 2009 - Wine Spectator - December 2011 - 89/100This pure red exhibits cherry and red currant flavors, with a light confection note creeping in. It's all about the fruit and smooth texture, though there are ample tannins on the back end. Best from 2013 through 2022. (USA)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 86/100A very fresh and classic Savigny nose of red berry fruit, pungent earth and a hint of the sauvage introduces round, supple and delicious flavors that are on the light side and mostly fruit driven but pretty enough. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16.5/20Finely perfumed red fruit. A touch of oaky spice and enough fruit to balance the dryish tannins. Rounded and complete. Fine, lingering finish. Drink 2009-12. (UK)
- Savigny-lès-Beaune 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 86/100This too is very ripe and pungently earthy with subtle iron and underbrush notes that lead to rich and full-bodied flavors underpinned by relatively refined tannins for what this is. Delicious, punchy and decently persistent if not particularly elegant. 2008+. By Allen Meadows (USA).