Montagny 1er Cru"La Grande Roche"
- RegionCôte Chalonnaise
- AppellationMontagny Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone, chalk and clay
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- The appellation of Montagny lies approximately 30 kilometres to the south of Beaune in the rolling folds and hills of the southern part of the Côte Chalonnaise. Montagny is a 100% white wine appellation originating solely from Chardonnay grapes and giving a fresh white wine that is an uncomplicated representation of its parent grape variety. The high quality of the vines is a direct consequence of their limestone bedrock and admirably oriented slopes. The vineyard of « La Grande Roche » is quite high up on the hillsides, catching plenty of sunshine which aids the great concentration of flavours in the grapes.
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting NoteVery pale yellow in colour, the Montagny 1er Cru reveals delicious floral aromas of honeysuckle. Full in the mouth with notes of almond, apricot and pepper, the finish is fresh with a hint of menthol. Tasted November 2010.
- Food PairingAsparagus - rabbit galantine - trout with almonds - sheeps cheese
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - Decanter Wine Awards 2011 - Bronze Medal
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 16/20
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15/20
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 88/100
The appellation in the Côte Chalonnaise only produces white wine. This wine has a smooth and creamy character with attractive acidity. It is a perfumed wine just hinting at a more mineral texture. Drink from 2017.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2013 - Tom Cannavan's Wine Pages - Avril 2016 - 89
From Latour's 1er Cru vineyards in the Côte Chalonnaise, this has a pale lemon/straw colour and crisply defined, lightly leesy aromas with dry apple fruit. Understated white Burgundy, it reveals a little nuttiness and loads of biting lemon fruit and acidity, a lick of salt too, in a nervy, delicious but linear wine.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2013 - Jewish Telegraph - December 2015 - "The perfect white Burgundy"
Behind Louis Latour's Montagny Premier Cru La Grande Roche 2013's pale yellow hue tinged with green highlights, is a bouquet of palles and pears. In the background is a floral hint. The perfect white burgundy to accompany salmon or pultry. By Paul Harris (UK)
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2013 - Profile Magazine - December 2015 - "A subtle fruity nose"
This pale chardonnay is a smooth, clean tasting wine with a subtle, fruity nose. An easy to drink accompaniment to light chicken, fish or pasta - or really anything for any occasion. By Ellen Beardmore (UK)
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2012 - The Sunday Business Post - February 2015 - 91/100
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grand Roche" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 88/100A well-structured wine, it offers ripe, creamy fruits and attractive acidity. With mouth-watering citrus flavors, yellow fruits and smooth aftertaste, it represents great value from a lesser-known appellation. By Roger Voss (USA)
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2011 - Under the grape tree - November 2013 - "Outstanding"Lush, elegant white wine, with subtle notes of oak and cream, undertones of stone fruit and mineral, and a luxurious finish.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2010 - South China Morning Post - January 2013 - "Refreshing Acidity"Melon, mineral notes on the nose. Medium bodied, citrus fruit, with refreshing acidity. Approachable and ready for drinking now.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2010 - Wine Tomas Word Press - December 2012Nose: apple, citrus, some white flowers.
Palate: mineral with a minty feeling, discrete fruit, good acidity, minerally aftertaste.
Summary: firm, rather discrete style, rather young but works now. By Tomas (Word Press - Sweden)
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - The Chef and the Grape - January 2014 - 91/100This wine sings with precision from the initial aromas to the end of the palate: a textured bouquet of clean hay/almonds/crushed seashell minerality is brilliantly balanced by crisp/lean acids driven by that self-same seashell mineral focus. The structure is impeccable and the length a generous 20-30 seconds... a natural pairing for seafood, but especially richer Oyster Affairs such as the classic Oysters Rockefeller. By Kristof Gillese (Canada).
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - Decanter Wine Awards 2011 - Bronze MedalElegant, discreet and refined. Gently mineral. Judicious oak treatment. (UK)
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 16/20Flowers and lime nose; a sleek, sculptured mouthfeel, typical Montagny herb-touched fruit, well defined and ripe. Good length. By Michael Edwards (UK).
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - Chris Kissack (UK) - January 2011 - 15/20:Attractive fresh fruit on the nose, with a lightly tropical twist to the stone fruit. Certainly fresh, with an appealingly herby touch of lanolin and a little sweetness to the fruit profile, this has some good appeal. The palate is dry and starts off with some bitter grip, showing more of this through the middle. A moderate concentration, certainly drier and more tightly reined in than I expected from the nose. A gentle substance in the midpalate, with some fresh yellow plum and spicy peach skin. I rather like its slightly pithy grip. Give it a year or two to tighten up and this will give good drinking. 15/20
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15/20Deep straw. Attractive raciness on the nose. Already approachable and agreeably creamy in texture. Drink 2010-2011. (UK).
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2008 - Vin Mat & Vanner - 92/100Smooth character with aromas of burnt sugar and ripe tropical fruit.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2006 - Wine Spectator - 2009 - 85/100Plump and juicy, this white shows apple, straw and grapefruit peel flavors. It's balanced and the peel note lingers on the finish. Drink now through 2011. 7,000 cases made.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2006 - Jancis Robinson - UK - July 23rd 2009 - 16:Neutral nose but very easy sweetish palate that would fly well. Already fully evolved.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2006 - Wine Advocate - USA - 2008 December 31 - 90 points:The latest rendition of a long-running, high-production Latour hit, their 2006 Montagny 1er Cru displays honeysuckle, pear, and apricot in the nose; a luscious, polished palate generous in its ripe fruit and backed by chalky, stony mineral suggestions; and an impressively layered finish. This excellent value has generally shown considerable resilience, and should keep nicely for 4-6 years.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2006 - Kens Wine Guide - USA - March 26th 2008:This light yellow wine opens with a light green apple bouquet with hints of pear. On the palate, this unoaked wine is round, balanced, fresh, crisp and displays green apple like flavors with notes of minerality. The finish is dry and lingers nicely. This wine would complement swordfish nicely. Enjoy.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2005 - Bloomberg.com - August 24th 2009 - "Shows off Chardonnay panache"With a little age on it now, this fine, white Burgundy shows off Montagny's minerality and chardonnay panache, as befits a Grand Cru from the chalky-limestone region of the Cote Chalonnaise. Just salt and pepper the shrimp, and this will be a magnificent marriage of simple goodness.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2005 - Wine Spectator - July 2007 - 86/100Fresh, with apple, peach and floral notes. This is a crowd-pleaser for its frank personality and accessible profile. Drink now.
- Montagny "La Grande Roche” 2005 - Burghound.com - July 2007 - 88/100Here the aromas are even fresher and brighter with citrus nuances that add lift to both the nose and the nicely intense and round middle weight flavors that offer good minerality, cut and punch on the agreeably dry finish. Very good quality here for what this is. 2008+
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2004 - Wineanorak.com - September 2012 - 89/100Quite a deep yellow colour. Nice minerally definition to the lemony fruit, with white plums and citrus fruit notes. It's almost structured. A delicious fruity white Burgundy. Very good. By Jamie Goode (UK).
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande roche" 2004 - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 86-88 points :Flower and pear aromas that precede round yet nicely detailed flavors that possess good mid-palate fat and a generous, sweet and sappy finish.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La grande Roche" 2003 - Decanter - September 2006 : From one of the best known "négociant-éleveur" companies in Burgundy. Clean, pure aromas of peach, lemon zest and some roasted almonds. Crisp apple and lemon on the palate. Drinking well now.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La grande Roche" 2003 - The Week - August 26th, 2006 :"Rich, buttery" white burgundy, "nutty and complex".
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2002 - House Beautiful - Decembre/Janvier 2006 :A real special occasion wine, this is crisp and elegant, perfect with lobster or scallops - so why not indulge yourself.
- Montagny 1er cru "La Grande Roche" 2002 - La Revue du Vin de France - February 2006 :Pale robe. Lovely floral bouquet, delicate, fresh white fleshed fruits. Luscious palate, very fruity, great balance, nervousness. Very appealing.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - Seattle Post-Itelligencer - September 3rd, 2003 :Typical of Montagny wines, this one is elegant with plenty of style. You'll find fruit reminiscent of apples and citrus and a slight earthiness. Because it isn't loaded down with too much oak and butter.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - The Sunday Times - March 2003 :Savour its classy, ripe floral, nutty, lemony fruit.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - Decanter - July 2003 - 4 stars :Clean apple fruit with citrus notes, creamy. Balanced palate with intense mid-palate acidity, elegant style with long length. Drink now or within two years.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - Oxford Times - June 2003 :An elegantly crafted bone dry white from the Côte Chalonnaise which is showing extremely well with crisp acidity, citrus fruit and low-key oak ageing.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - Burghound.com - July 2003 - 84 points :Ripe Chardonnay driven fruit aromas blend with a subtle touch of wood and lead to fresh, clean and simple, light weight flavors that display acceptable persistence and note of finishing minerality.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2001 - Wine Advocate - Issue 146 - 88 points :The 2001 Montagny "La Grande Roche" boasts buttered pear aromas, excellent depth, and a light to medium-bodied character. Candied lemons, detailed minerals, and toasty notes can be detected in its generous personality. Projected maturity: now-2006.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 2000 - Travel & Living - Spring 2005 :Montagny is from the Côte Chalonnaise, just south of Beaune. This flavoursome unwooded wine is finely textured and balanced, and deceptively crisp and fresh-tasting for its age with a super long, tangy palate. Drink with sautéed scallops.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 1997 - Reviewed by Parker - Wine Advocate - June 21st, 1999 - 86+ points :The 1997 Montagny 1er cru La Grande Roche , another perennial best buy, reveals toasted oak aromas. On the palate, this fat, medium-bodied offering is loaded with sweet white fruits and grilled nut flavors. It needs to be consumed over the next 2-3 years.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 1996 - Wine Advocate - April 30th, 1998 - 87+ points :Exhibiting tropical frut and toasty oak onthe nose, the Montagny 1er Cru, has a concentrated, orange peel and red berry-filled personnality. Well-crafted, medium-bodied, silky, and beautifully ripe, this wine should provide delicious drinking until 2001.
- Montagny 1er Cru "La Grande Roche" 1995 - Wine Spectator - May 1997 - 85/100A lush, round, dense Chardonnay, with some lovely lemon, mineral and ripe fruit character. Medium- to full-bodied, it's vibrant and long on the finish. Good now, better in 1999. 15,000 cases made.