Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru"Morgeot"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationChassagne Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- The Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" parcel of vines lies mid-slope with a south-easterly exposure. "Morgeot" is in fact a hamlet of Chassagne-Montrachet. The vines have been in place since the Maizières Abbey decided to clear the land and replant the Morgeot soils in the 15th Century. Only a quarter of the appellation's premier crus are planted with Pinot Noir. The red wines of Morgeot are balanced and sometimes a little bit firm when still young but to the savvy amateur with patience, they can offer generous aromas of small red fruits and fine tannins, together creating a beautiful harmony.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, XX% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteYour eyes are instantly drawn to the intense ruby red colour of this Chassagne. Complex aromas of cassis buds, raspberries, pepper and liquorice reveal themselves on the nose. On tasting there are red fruit flavours and the tannins are still pleasantly noticeable. Lovely balance and impressive structure in the mouth produce a wine which needs more ageing before its full potential is attained.
- Food PairingTournedos - roasted leg of lamb - "coq au vin" - Brie cheese
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 89/100
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" red 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 89/100 (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" rouge 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 92/100 (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" rouge 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 15.5/20Pale crimson. Lots of redcurrant fruit and quite marked tannin. Medium weight and even a little hot on the end. Drink 2016-2021 (cask sample) UK
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot” 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 90/100In this powerful, full-bodied wine, soft fruit accompagnies the firm tannins. The wine is already well integrated, showing dense red fruits as well as structure. A touch of wood will soften soon. Drink from 2016. R.V.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 89/100Light cherry and plum nose is quite pure. The palate is light, elegant and cherryish with good purity and some grippy tannins under the fruit.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeots" rouge 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 17/20Ripe, spiced plummy fruit. Subtle but deep fruit, fine fresh tannins. Elegant length. Drink 2009-14. (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2005 - Wine Spectator - November 15th, 2007 - 88/100Juicy cherry and licorice notes are propelled by a lively structure. The tannins are firm and well-integrated, playing out on a lingering aftertaste of licorice and mineral. Drink now through 2015.