Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"Sous le Puits"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home of some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. The vineyard of Puligny-Montrachet « Sous les Puits » has a south-easterly exposure and is situated at the top of the hill of Blagny, just above « La Garenne ", near a source, hence the name of "Sous le Puits" ("Under the Well").
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe wine is rich and opulent with a focused "goût de terroir". The typical flavour of the wine of « Sous le Puits » is buttery rich with a spicey exotic fruit character and a crisp balancing acidity. The finish is lingering.
- Food PairingPoultry - foie gras - salmon with fennel and lemon - cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 93/100
This is one of the higher elevation premier crus in Puligny. In this warm vintage it has managed to give a wine that is crisp and mineral. To contrast with this, the wine also has a creamy, toasty character from the wood aging. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous Le Puits" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 89/100
The citrus elements can be found on the succulent, pliant and delicious middle weight flavors that culminate in a dry and clean finish that is enhanced by the presence of a touch of bitter lemon but not by the mild warmth. Note that this should drink well shortly after it's available on the market. 89/2019+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2015 - James Suckling - April 2017 - 93/100
This is incredibly perfumed with lavender, pineapple and lemon character. Medium to full body, flint and stone flavors and plenty of dried pineapple and mangoes. Drink or hold.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 15.5/20
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 93/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Really a super wine"
This a big, and very nice fresh nose-full of aromas. Super texture, very silky, really with another level of flavour concentration in the mid-palate. It could be fresher, but it's fine in this respect. Really a super wine... Bill Nanson (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 92/100A
white with very pretty sliced apple, pear and mineral character. Medium to full
body, bright acidity and a clean finish. Minerality rules here.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2014 - James Suckling - January 2017 - 93/100
Very fresh and clean with a mineral, dried-apple and pear character. Hints of lemon curd and hot stones. Medium to full body and delicious fruit. Drink now.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 94/100
Linear and intense, this focused style lime, pastry, spice and stony, chaly flavors. Builds to a long finish , though this is tightly wound and locked up for now. Offers a terrific aftertaste of citrus and stone. Best from 2019 through 2030. 300 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 93/100
The vineyard is high up the slope, giving this wine that has good acidity and crispness. The acidity is light and bright, while the texture is concentrated and mineral. It is going to develop as a fine, ripe wine. Drink from 2018.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - " Hyper-complex panorama of flavour"
A fresh, indeed deep pretty yellow citrus nose. Wide, fresh, hyper-complex panorama of flavour. It's all soft-edged (not soft focus) but fine flavoured. The finish is particularly good and tasty... (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2015 - 93/100This structured wine offers rich fruit cut with acidity and a mineral texture. It is both fruity and strongly mineral. At the back, hints of wood show through to give richness and a toasty character. This balanced wine should be drunk from 2018. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - Wine Spectator - June 2016 - 90/100
A rich, lush style, sporting peach, vanilla and honey flavors, backed by lively acidity that keeps this balanced and long on the finish. Drink now through 2020.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - Decanter - April 2016 - 91/100
Displaying a panorama of apricot and grapefruit aromas, and there's a nice understated freshness too. Big in the mouth - much more mineral in character than the nose - with a real impact of mid-palate flavor. Drink 2017-2035
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous Le Puits" 2013 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 91/100There is fine freshness and verve to the solidly concentrated and intense middle weight flavors that exude a fine bead of minerality onto the lingering and balanced finish that also displays a hint of bitter lemon. This is quite generous, indeed even lush and while it should be capable of rewarding 6 to 8 years of cellaring it should also be approachable young. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 & December 2015 - "Really excellent"Airy, high-toned, with white blossom and a slowly evolving citrus below. Gas, but lots of depth and width - really the finest mid-palate flavour yet - lots of complexity and width. Excellent wine, really excellent... (UK - December 2014)
A beautiful width of aroma - fresh apricot and agrume. Fills the mouth with mineral flavour, energy with a great punch of mid-palate flavour. Very impressive, a wine that got better and better, the longer it was open. (UK - December 2015)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 91/100 (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2012 - Wine Spectator - July 2015 - 90/100
Butter and butterscotch aromas lead off, with baked apple and spice notes adding interest. Opulent in profile, this echoes spice detils on the finish. Drink now through 2020.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2011 - Wine Spectator - September 2014 - 89/100Fleshy for the vintage, with peach, spice and lemon flavors. Finishing on the softer side. Drink now through 2017. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet "Sous le Puits” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 90/100 A discreet note of pain grillé blends with fresh citrus, mandarin orange and white peach aromas that merge seamlessly into rich, round and supple middle weight flavors that possess a subtle minerality on the balanced and persistent if not particularly complex finish. 2015+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 92/100 Intense aromas and flavors of apricot and citrus pick up honey and mineral accents as this unfolds across the palate. Creamy and intense, with a long, mineral aftertaste. Best from 2014 through 2023. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet "Sous le Puits" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15.5/20
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 16.5/20Pale gold, green flecks; lightly spiced aromas—a subtle wine with pretty fruit for relatively early drinking. By Michael Edwards (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2008 - Wine Spectator - August 2011 - 92/100Lime blossom, citronella, and honeydew melon aromas and flavors meld in this silky, elegant white. Balanced and refined, with a lingering lemon and spice aftertaste. Best from 2012-2022. 1000 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2008 - Decanter - December 2010 - 16.33/20Shy, stony nose with ripe yellow fruit, honey, vanilla, underbrush and almond. Classically succulent yet crisp, lean and precise. 2011-2018.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2006 - Wine Spectator - July 10th, 2009 - 90/100Score: 90
Ripe, offering apricot and tropical fruit notes, but with enough structure to keep this balanced and lingering on the finish. There's a nice touch of mineral and savory elements on the aftertaste. Drink now through 2016. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2006 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2008 - 93/100A tight, highly-strung wine with the acidity currently dominating the rich fruits. It is structured and ripe, the fruit waiting to burst out. With its layers of toast, this is going to be an impressive wine. (USA)
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2005 - Wine Spectator - Aug 1997 - 90/100Powerful, with fine intensity to the peach, toast, lemon and mineral flavors. This is concentrated midpalate and cruises to a long aftertaste of hazelnut and toasted brioche. Drink now through 2016. 1,300 cases made.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2004 - Wine Spectator - 2006 - 88/100Bright, with apple, lemon and mineral notes, this firm white could benefit from more concentration. It's balanced, with a moderate finish. Drink now through 2012. 1,000 cases made.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2004 - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 91/100Here the wonderfully elegant and airy aromas are discreet to the point of being coolly reserved yet there is complexity and finesse to burn that is followed by fresh, intense and precise mineral-driven flavors that are not especially concentrated yet there is excellent cut and a driving, vibrant and long finish plus a sublte note of austerity. This is a really lovely wine of transparency and grace. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2004 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2006 - 90/100High up on the slope, the Sous le Puits vineyard has produced a ripe, open, buttery wine that is full of generous, opulent fruit. It is packed with the pineapple, tropical fruit and lime flavors, along with a hint of caramel and almonds. Ready to drink now. (USA)
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet "Sous le Puits" - Wine Spectator - July 31st, 2006 - 88 Points :The apple and quince takes center stage here, along with mineral and pepper notes. The terroir is amplified by the vintage, yet in doing so, loses a little clarity. Drink now through 2008. 770 cases made. –B.S.
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet “Sous le Puits” - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 89 points :This too is impressively elegant with an airy quality to the nose and the overall aromatic impression is much less 2003 in style than most of the wines in the Latour range. The flavors display ample minerality and plenty of punch though not quite the complexity that one might hope for. Still, I quite like the quality and style as there is good balance and an attractive vibrancy. 89/2007+
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" - Burghound.com - July 2004 - 89 points :A very dicreet touch of wood spice adds interest to the highly perfumed, very aromatic nose, a trace of which continues on to the bright, rich, full and sweet medium full flavors that display an intense minerality, racy acidity and fine persistence. This is an elegant wine that probably has enough mid-palate density to eat its wood. 89/2007+
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" - Irish Independent - April 27th, 2003 :For those who want to approach the more complex and pricey whites, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Sous le Puits is serious stuff, intense and zesty.
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" - La Revue du Vin de France - February 2006 :Pale robe, with an emerald hue. Bouquet with great aromatic finesse, floral notes; lys, William pear. Pleasantly tonic and aromatic palate, with nice structure; nice duration of an intense and vibrant nature. One can drink but the cellaring potential is inspiring.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Sous le Puits" 2000 - Wine Enthusiast - August 2002 - 89 points :A bit tighter than some of the other wines, even showing some sulfur aromas that gradually ease up. Toasty wood notes accent pear and lime fruit, developing into dried spice nuances on the long, minerally finish. (USA)