Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home to some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet and Bâtard-Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the 216 hectare geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. Due to the fact that a great many of the Premier Cru vineyards of Puligny-Montrachet share the same soil type and the same exposure as their Grand Cru neighbours, they deserve special attention. Maison Latour carefully screens the selection of Premier Cru wines that go into this wine, choosing only those that offer sufficient maturity and consistency over the years.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageingto 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Puligny-Montrachet Premier Cru 2010 has a lovely pale yellow colour and exhibits complex floral aromas, particularly of acacia. It also demonstrates notes of exotic fruits and honey. On the palate it is well balanced with subtle touches of vanilla. This Premier Cru has a lovely richness and good structure.
- Food PairingFish - shellfish - poultry - cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 88/100This broad white evokes honey, roasted hazelnut and spice flavors. This is open and approachable, with a moderately long, spicy finish. Drink now through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru - TheFineWineTimes.com - February 11th, 2010:Open and fresh with mineral, citrus, apple and peach flavours and an additional hint of sweet vanilla oak. Very clean and juicy on the palate with precise, smooth, silky flavours of pear and citrus all balanced by fine high acidity. Decent mineral and citrus flavoured finish.
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 87 points :A gently wooded, ripe fruit nose serves to highlight the mouth coating, dense and slightly sweet middle weight flavors that offer good persistence if not much refinement. There is however a pretty touch of minerality as well as vanilla hints present on the acceptably long finish. 87/now+
- 1998 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru - The Beverage Testing Institute - 2000 :Brilliant straw hue. Attractive mineral, yeast, and butter aromas. Richly-textured on the attack with a moderately full body showing fine apple and mineral flavors on the finish. Very substancial and discreetly-oaked.