Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru"Les Beaux Monts"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationVosne-Romanée Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilIron-based clay
- Average yield38 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Vosne-Romanée, famous the world over for its Grand Crus, also produces some Premier Crus capable of competing with the best. The iron-based soil just north of Nuits Saint-Georges is absolutely ideal for the growing of Pinot Noir. The grapes reach their maximum maturity and it is by means of a traditional vinification that the lively perfumes and great fruitty character are released. This wine needs bottle ageing to fully realise its potential. The descriptive adjective in « Les Beaumonts » is « beau », which emphasises the quality of the wine that this particular vineyard on the hill produces.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe Vosne-Romanée Premier Cru "Les Beaumonts" 2013 shows a beautiful garnet colour. On the nose, aromas of blackcurrant and liquorice are completed by earthy notes. Ample in mouth, this wine is powerful with aromas of ripe black fruits and cocoa. The finish offers a lovely tannic structure.
- Food PairingBeef "Mironton" - rabbit with chanterelles - venison with cranberries - mature cheeses
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts” 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 91/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - The World of Fine Wine - 2015 - 16/20
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 91/100 (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - Wine Advocate - December 2014 - 90/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2016 - Burghound.com - April 2018 - 91/100
A discreet but not invisible dollop of wood envelops ripe and very fresh aromas of spice, violet, red currant and plum. There is much better mid-palate concentration to the more mineral-inflected medium weight flavors that deliver notably better persistence on the youthfully austere finale that also possesses better balance. 2026+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 92/100Medium-deep ruby. A very lovely nose : intense, pure, ripe red and black fruit and great roseate allure. Very good density and suavity on the palate, but animated by balanced and well-integrated freshness. Wholly worthy. - Neil Beckett
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 93/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017 Wider, certainly a little spice to the dark red fruit - slowly growing with complexity in the glass. Ooh, now that's a great texture, melting flavour over the palate. Concentrated, cushioned (just a little) complex and absolutely delicious flavour. Very lovely wine.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 92-94/100
Medium deep purple, the nose needs to be fresher but that can be sorted out before bottling. Quite weighty on the palate, good depth to this, dark fruit, not much overt acidity but enough to balance the tannins. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 92/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "A beauty"
A lovely and deep nose to fall into - it's a beauty. Round, a wine of volume in the mouth, but energy. not fat, -led. Lots of flavour complexity, less sweetness but waves of fine finishing flavour, really tasty wine indeed... Bill Nanson (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts” 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 91/100
A markedly spicy nose combines with notes of plum, violet and discreet lilac and sandalwood hints. There is excellent richness to the very rich, suave and seductively textured medium-bodied flavors where a subtle minerality adds lift to the caressing but firmly structured finale. This will need at least 5 to 7 years of bottle age. /2024+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 93/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2014 - Wine Spectator - February 2016 - 93/100
The Vosne-Romanée Les Beaux Monts features pretty cherry, floral and spice aromas with mineral, sappy elements and a long, salty finish. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1erCru "Les Beaux Monts" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Super length"
Very slowly there are red fruit tones, and yes, perhaps a little spice too. The nose grows and grows, eventually this is classic Vosne. Lovely mouth perfume here, a width of flavour, and ever-growing complexity. A little fine velvet finishing. Super length - very fine this. Yum! (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts” 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 91/100Very strong menthol dominates the fresh nose of plum, black cherry and spice. There is fine volume and intensity to the mouth coating medium weight flavors that yet again display an attractive minerality on
the mocha-infused and dry finish. My sense is that the dryness is gas related, particularly given that there is mocha on the
finish as it's very rare to find mocha and unripe tannins in the same wine.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - The World of Fine Wine - 2015 - 16/20Muted nose. Good attack and quite concentrated, firm tannins give some grip; quite spicy but tails off on the finish.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 91/100 (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2013 - Wine Advocate - December 2014 - 90/100The
2013 Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru les Beaux Monts has a rather conservative, tertiary
bouquet for a les Beaux Monts with scents of blackberry and cassis, granitic
scents underneath. The palate is medium-bodied with a supple texture, a taut
line of acidity, impressive density here and finish akin to a les Suchots. Fine.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2012 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2015 - 92/100Three barrels were made of this structured, tannic wine that offers a juicy balance between acidity and dark tannins. It is perfumed with acidity that cut through the red berry and dry concentration. It is a dense wine, full of fruit. Drink from 2019. By Roger Voss (USA°
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "Tasty!"The nose is wide, showcasing ripe but very pretty dark red fruits. If there's any extra dimension, following the wines of the Côte de Beaune, it comes in the mid-palate, with a spicy impression (I don't see spicy on the nose). There's plenty of fine, soft tannin and a finishing note that really holds very well. Tasty! - Bill Nanson
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20Dark blueish crimson. Identifiable Vosne race and pace. For the moment it is mainly acidity and fine tannin rather than fruit but it should get there. Drink 2020-2028 (cask sample) UK
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2010 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 94/100
Glorious colour with transparent ruby. Such a refined, incense and smoke, fragrant cherry and gentle truffle and briar wood. The palate has an enormously sweet core of fruit, the soft layering of vanilla and such fine gravelly and truffle intensity and savoury, dry character. Lively and deliciously focused in the finish, silky texture, great acid and tannin structure. (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 91/100A very spicy and exuberantly fresh nose blends elegant red currant, plum and violet nuances together to serve as a refined introduction to the detailed and tension-filled mineral-driven flavors that possess a sophisticated mouth feel before terminating in a balanced and lingering finish. 2018+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 90/100A lightly spiced mix of red and blue pinot fruit that also evidences soft mineral notes that can be found on the supple and refined middle weight flavors that possess fine detail and very good precision on the slightly sweet but persistent finish. 2016+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru " Les Beaux Monts" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2010 - 90/100A solid, dense wine, âcked with tannins and with a dry core. The soft fruit has flavors of strawberry, hinting at richness to come. At this early stage, tannins and acidity are still forming. Hold for five years. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - April 2010 - 89/100A touch of wood spice supplements the natural spiciness of the red and black fruit aromas that exude an appealing stoniness that is also reflected by the pure and reserved middle weight flavors that presently display mild austerity on the acceptably long finish. 89/2016+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 89/100Here the nose offers a big step up in elegance and refinement with cool and very subtly spicy aromas that mix both red and blue pinot fruit plus the fine minerality of a classically structured Beaumonts that continues onto the sophisticated, detailed and pure flavors that are quite stylish if not necessarily especially concentrated. Still, there is a lovely harmony of expression and overall, this is really quite pretty. 2013+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru " Les Beaux Monts" 2006 - Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 :Bruce Sanderson, 87-90 points : Bright berry and spice elements, with an underlying mineral character (87-90, non-blind).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 2005 - Wine Spectator - 2008 - 85/100There's a touch of sur-maturité to this, with raisin and fig notes, a lush texture and a soft structure. Yet this has plenty of tannins, which need to be absorbed. Best from 2010 through 2018. 70 cases made.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Beaux Monts" 1985 - March 1988 - 86/100Lean and tannic, with some lovely black cherry, leather and spice, firm structure, velvety texture and good length. Scratchy tannins on the finish need 2-3 years to resolve.