Saint-Véran"Les Deux Moulins"
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilJurassic chalky clay
- Average yield50 hl/ha
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 10-12°
- Situated in the very South of the Mâconnais, the Saint-Véran vineyards form a gilded belt around Pouilly-Fuissé. The two are similar in terms of relief and production techniques, even in their actual taste and fragrance. The area's Jurassic chalk soil and the vineyard's ideal exposure combine perfectly to produce top quality fruit. Saint-Véran « Les Deux Moulins » takes its name from the two watermills that straddle La Petite Grosne river. The rain that falls on the vineyards, filters through the calcareous bedrock to help feed the river as it flows away west towards the famous monastic town of Cluny. Once harvested, the grapes are fermented in stainless steel in order to preserve the freshness of the fruit. A slow, cool fermentation allows the wine to maintain its rich and concentrated flavours.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting NoteGold coloured with aromas of muscat and raisins. It is supple in the mouth with notes of brioche and grilled hazelnuts. Nice balance and already very flattering.
- Food PairingShrimp and mange-tout peas risotto - Bleu de Bresse cheese - Beaufort cheese
- 2006 St-Véran "Les Deux Moulins" - Jancis Robinson – February 2008 – 16 points :Finely peppered citrus, dusty Chablis-like nose but broader on the palate. Firm, dry and just savoury. Drink 2008-10.
- 2001 Saint-Véran "Les Deux Moulins" - Wine International - September 2004 - 84 points :A dry, chalky style. A bit ungenerous but focused. Drink 2004-2006
- 2000 Saint-Véran "Les Deux Moulins" - Decanter - August 2003 - 4 stars Best Value White Brugundy: Fine Chardonnay expression, slightly honeyed and fresh. Good fruit, oak and lenght, a fine, well-made wine... Highly recommended.
- 2000 Saint-Véran "Les Deux Moulins" - Oxford Times - June 2003 : This is a lovely white from a less-well known appellation. It has well defined apple, herb and minéral flavours with a dry spicy, savour edge, good weight and a nice finish.