Volnay 1er Cru"Santenots"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationVolnay Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone, gravel, marl
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- This vine was given in 1218 to the Abbey of Citeaux, with the "Moulin de la Velle" in Meursault, under the "Sautenots" name. Is it inadvertently or because they belonged to the Cistercian monks, holy men ("saint" in French), that the "u" became a "n"; the story doesn't tell us.
Volnay « Santenots » is situated where the Pinot Noir of the North and the Chardonnay of the South meet. This makes this vineyard special as it can be planted either with Chardonnay or with Pinot Noir. Even though the vineyard is located in the village of Volnay, if Chardonnay is planted there the wines are declared as part of the Meursault appellation. The structure of the soil of Volnay "Santenots" is varied, which allows this vineyard to create a red wine lighter and more elegant that those produced from higher up on the hill.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis wine is intensely perfumed with heady fruit aromas and discreet notes of red and black fruits. The finish is silky.
- Food PairingGame birds - poultry - mature cheeses