Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru"Clos des Ormes"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationMorey Saint Denis Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Situated between Gevrey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny, Morey-Saint-Denis has no need to be jealous of its neighbours seeing that it is one of the most highly-esteemed communes of the Côte de Nuits. The parcels of Grands and Premiers Crus lie on the middle of the slope. The commune has no less than 22 Premiers Crus to its name, the most reputable of these being the "Clos des Ormes", located to the North of the appellation with a perfect Easterly exposure which allows it to benefit from the first rays of sunshine. The name "Clos des Ormes" is related to the presence of remarkable elm, trees that can reach 20-30 feet tall, but now endangered.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe wine is rich and round with good structure and a charming bouquet of ripe black cherries and small black fruits.
- Food PairingGame - red meat - mature cheeses