Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru"Les Cazetiers"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationGevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 40 years
- SoilChalk and limestone
- Average yield32 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Located about ten kilometres from Dijon, Gevrey-Chambertin is one of the finest wine villages of the Côte de Nuits. In 1847 Only planted with Pinot Noir, Gevrey-Chambertin was the first village of the Côte d'Or to combine the village name with that of its best Grand Cru, hence Gevrey-en-Montagne became Gevrey-Chambertin. Les Cazetiers, recorded as Castiers in 1855, is located next to the Castle at the top of the hill allowing it to benefit from maximum exposure to the sun in the early hours of the day. The name Castiers means fortified place.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteWith a beautifully intense garnet colour, the Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru « Cazetiers » 2012 reveals a complex bouquet; morello cherry notes mix very well with earthy, marzipan, vanilla and cocoa aromas. It is ample and fresh in the mouth. An elegant wine with silky tannins that offers fresh cherry flavours.
- Food PairingBeef - venison stew - mature cheeses
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2012 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2015 - 92/100
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 90/100
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 93/100 (UK)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2012 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2015 - 92/100This wine has a firm structure, solid with tannins and a dense, complex balance between acidity and perfumed red berry floavors. It is juicy, full of freshness as well as considerable tannins. It need to be aged for several years ; drink from 2019. By Roger Voss (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 90/100Relatively generous wood fights somewhat with the otherwise well-layered and fresh aromas of spice, earth and humus that add breadth to the fresh mix of red and dark currants. The supple and mineral-inflected middle weight flavors possess a relatively sophisticated mouth feel before culminating in a dusty, delicious and equally complex finale. This should drink well young too if desired but it also has the requisite stuffing to age. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20Bright pale crimson. Light but true Gevrey richness with a firm structure. Good racy fruit and confidence. Fine tannins. Quite persistent. Drink 2018-2027 (cask sample) UK
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 93/100 (UK)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 91/100Very structured and dense, this powerful wine succeeds with its black fruits, touches of wood and integrated tannins. The wine is both ripe and fruity, suggesting serious ageing. Drink from 2017.-R.V.
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2011- Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 89/100There is good volume to the supple and forward medium weight flavors where the supporting tannins on the solidly complex and persistent finish are mature. 2018+
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16/20Lightish crimson. Perfumed and bright on the nose but a little hard on the palate - the tannins and the acidity at war at the moment - though there's fruit again on the finish. Drink 2016-2021. By Julia Harding MW.
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2011 - Tim Atkin 2011 Burgundy Special Report - UK - 92/100
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 91/100Subtle but not invisible wood sets off conspicuously sauvage aromas of red currant, plum and humus. The supple, vibrant and intense medium weight flavors possess lovely detail and relatively prominent mineral notes on the delicious and balanced finish. 2017+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100Round and juicy, evoking strawberry, raspberry, currant and tobacco flavors on a tightly wound frame. Needs time to unwind, showing balance and moderate length. Best from 2016 through 2027.
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 15/20
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011- 15.5/20
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers" 2009 - Wine Spectator - March 2012 - 91/100Bright flavors of cherry, currant and iron course through this dense red. Rich and powerful, with firm and ripe tannins. Tobacco-tinged finish. Best from 2014 through 2028. (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 91/100 - "Cellar Selection"Firmly structured, with tannins and solid, dense fruit flavors. At the same time, the texutre is jammy, rich, with black plum flavors bursting through the tannins. In five years this will be rich and generous. (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2008 - Wine Spectator - June 2011 - 90/100There's a nice plumpness to this red, giving volume to its red cherry, strawberry and spice flavors. It takes a mineral turn on the finish, showing fine balance and harmony overall. Best from 2013 through 2023. (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2010 - 88/100While there are tannins, they are not as powerful as the appellation and year would suggest. Instead, there is bright acidity, strawberry flavors and a fresh feel. By Roger Voss (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2008 - Burghound.com - April 2010 - 90/100A more complex, more serious and more deeply pitched nose that is notably animale in character with plenty of earth, underbrush and humus influence on the fresh, airy and cool wild red berry aromas. The moderately ripe medium weight flavors are detailed, intensely mineral and solidly persistent. 2016+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2008 - The World of Fine Wine - Issue 27 - March 2010 - 16/20The Latour preference for late harvest and light extraction suited the style of the vintage, and the best wines, including this, are both fresh and fully ripe. Mid-ruby. Elegant but fully mature fruit on the nose; light earth, licorice, petits fruits rouges. Gentle entry, elegant, silky, and supple, and already very harmonious. - NB. (UK)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 89/100A mix of sweet cherry, herbs, strawberry and mineral flavors are married to a firm structure. Though light in weight, this has intensity and moderate length. Best from 2011 through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2007 - Decanter magazine - April 2010 - 3 starsQuite closed up at first. Sweet ripe tannins, with pleasant level of good fruits on back palate. From 2010. (UK)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 89/100A ripe and pretty yet entirely serious nose of game, earth, underbrush and red pinot fruit notes complements the supple, round and overtly mineral infused flavors that are delicious but underpinned by relatively ripe tannins that suggest 6 to 8 years of cellar potential. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers” 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 -90/100A very gentle touch of wood spice frames cool, fresh and relatively airy blue and black raspberry aromas suffused with subtle hints of minerality and underbrush, both of which can be found on the moderately austere and firm medium-bodied flavors that culminate in an energetic and admirably long finish. This will need some time to reach full maturity. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 16.5/20Very slightly "brulée" note to the fruit and very cheesy. Pretty tough and inky but not insipid. All texture no fruit at the moment. (UK)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2005 - Wine Spectator - May 2008 - 90/100An enticing array of cherry, black currant and bilberry notes mark this ripe, sweet red. It's balanced, with plenty of fruit and velvety richness to offset the tannins. Best from 2012 through 2024. (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 90/100This is distinctly Gevrey and displays ample sauvage character as well as dark pinot fruit, iron-infused earth and a hint of forest floor that can also be found on the nicely delineated, concentrated flavors that offer plenty of finishing depth on the firmly structured finish. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Les Cazetiers” 2002 - Wine Spectator - May 2005 - 93/100Somewhat massive, with black cherry, smoke, mineral and licorice aromas and flavours mingling with the rich texture and firm, grainy tannins. On the rustic side and very satisfying. (USA)
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" 2000 - Burghound.com - April 2003 - 88/100A beautiful and finely complex nose of Gevrey earth and hints of spice and underbrush leads to medium weiht, rich, delineated flavors that offer much better underlying material and fine lenght. This finishes dry and firm but with good buffering sap. A lovely effort here. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- 1999 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Cazetiers" - La Revue du Vin de France - Febraury 2006 :More of an intense color. Bouquet that reminds us of lovely black fruits, cherry seed, full palate, very fruity. Rightfully expressive wine, with depth. To be de-corked.