Beaune"Clos Saint Désiré"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 11-13°
- White Beaune accounts for only 5% of the total production from the Beaune appellation. Situated on the slope of the Saint-Desiré hill, "Clos Saint-Desiré" has soils composed of limestone and chalk which is perfect for Chardonnay. The combination of this unique terroir and traditional ageing in oak creates an elegant, ample and lively white wine.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 10% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteGolden in colour with a distinctive nose of almonds paired with smoky gun flint notes. Generous in the mouth, long-lasting with freshness. Tasted November 2010.
- Food PairingShellfish - fish - cheese
- Beaune "Clos Saint Désiré" 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 87/100
- Beaune "Clos Saint Désiré" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 90/100From a small parcel at the base of the hill of Beaune, this is a delicious wine with a touch of vanilla. It is rounded, smooth and rich, bringing out both fruit and toasty wood flavors that are integrated well. Drink from 2016. Online Exclusive (USA)
- Beaune "Clos Saint Désiré" 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 87/100A pungent nose of straw, citrus and pear aromas leads to admirably well-detailed and quite pure flavors that possess both good freshness and energy on the dry and clean if not especially complex finish. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Beaune "Clos Saint Désiré"2008 - Burghound.com - Issue 39 - July 2010 - 87/100A high-toned nose of cool citrus and white flower aromas merges into pure and pretty middle weight flavors that are round, supple and delicious while retaining a reasonably good sense of detail and tension on the agreeably dry and crisp finish. 2012+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Beaune "Clos Saint Désiré" 2007 - Burghound.com- July 2009- 88/100This too has a discreet wood application framing fresh, cool and bright aromas that blend floral and citrus notes together that continue on the lemony and lightly mineral-inflected flavors that possess lovely balance, punch and persistence. This is not overly concentrated but packs good flavor authority all the same while finishing with notable dryness in the best sense. 2010+. By Allen Meadows (USA).