Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"Les Folatières"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home of some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. The vineyard of « Les Folatières » produces a wine that is the ultimate expression of the noble Chardonnay grape in the village of Puligny-Montrachet. The vines enjoy an ideal south-easterly exposure, catching as much sunlight as the day-time permits and grow high up on limestone and marl soil. "The Folatières" is the name of the old French foletière "place haunted by wisps", beings of legend, elves with a light and lively grace, the popular imagination saw dancing above the stagnant water.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe first nose reveals notes of acacia while the second nose hints at underlying notes of vanilla. The whole is well-structured and is worth waiting a couple of years before being fully appreciated. Tasted in May 2008.
- Food PairingSole Meunière - roasted squab with grapes - fish - shellfish- cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2008 - 90/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 - 88-91/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16.5/20
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 95/100This
is fabulous with so much dried fruit, mineral, cream and toffee character. It's
so layered yet it remains agile and intense. A triumph. Les Folatičres had a
small harvest in 2013 after the hail in 2012. The essence of chardonnay. Drink
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2013 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 90/100There is a mild hint of exoticism to the white peach, pear, apricot and floral aromas that are trimmed in just enough wood to notice. There is an opulent mouth feel to the very generously proportioned flavors where a fine minerality helps to add lift to the luscious and lingering finale. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 90/100(...) There is good volume, richness and punch to the generous proportioned and moderately stony middle weight flavors that are blessed with ample amounts of palate coating dry extract before culminating in a delicious and persistent finish. 2018+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20Pale greenish gold. Some honey on the nose. Tension and energy. Sucky-stony quality. Drink 2015-2020 (cask sample) UK
- Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 90/100This is also agreeably fresh and cool with lovely purity to the dried white flowers, peach, pear and the slightest hint of wood toast. There is a lilting quality to the alluringly textured middle weight flavors that exude a subtle if still more obvious minerality on the rich, dry, delicious and well-balanced finale. 2017+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 15.5/20 Drink 2014-2018.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 91/100Opulent, showing peach, apple and grapefruit flavors tinged with honey and spice notes. Still a little oaky, but another year should help to integrate all the components. Best from 2014 through 2022. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "les Folatières" 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 92/100 This is a taut wine, touched by yeast and warmed by ripe yellow fruit. Flavors of melon and spice from the new wood give it an open feel. It's ripe, already rounded and full bodied. By Roger Voss (USA).
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 91/100A classic and ultra-pure Puligny nose offers up refined aromas of various citrus fruits, acacia blossom, green apple and a hint of spiced pear along with plenty of mineral influence. There is lovely detail to the stony medium-weight flavors that possess a relatively sophisticated mouth feel before culminating in a beautifully persistent finish. Lovely and fashioned in an understated style. 2016+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5+/20Apple, peach, sweet and fragrant. Tiniest bitter lick on the finish. Good, solid. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16+/20 Solid texture on the palate and this may be worth waiting for. There is clearly (reticent) stuffing here. Drink 2013-2017. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 92/100 - "Cellar Selection"This wonderful, mineral wine boasts the ripe apricot and peach fruits of the year combined with a taut texture, well-integrated wood and a great waft of citrus to close. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 92/100Despite the presence of a bit of unabsorbed sulfur the nose remains quite expressive and agreeably fresh with intense citrus, spiced pear and stone hints serving as an elegant introduction to the delicious, delineated and racy medium-bodied flavors that are blessed with good cut and a real sense of underlying tension on the balanced finish. This is a lovely and harmonious effort. 2016+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 17/20Pale, refined, straw-green; fine-drawn expression of perfectly ripe fruit aromas—very well judged balance of gras and minerality in the mouth. Fantail finish. Class. By Michael Edwards (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2009 - Decanter - February 2011 - 17.5/20Elegant, toasty, lifted nose, pear aromas. Very rich, full-bodied, and sumptuous, a concentrated, spicy wine with a stony and mineral finish. Good length. Drink 2013-2020. By Stephen Brook (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières” 2008 - Wine Spectator - December 2010 - 89/100A banana hint greets the nose in this rich, vanilla and brioche flavored white. There's a citrus underpinning and a touch of heat on the finish. Best from 2012 through 2019. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2010 - 93/100An austere wine, tight and taut, drawing a fine line of apple skins and green plum over a steely, mineral character. This is going to take its time, give it 3-4 years. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound.com - July 2010 - 91/100A restrained and airy nose features aromas of ripe pear, green apple and hints of limestone, spice and citrus dissolve gracefully into rich, naturally sweet and beautifully detailed medium-full flavors that possess outstanding balance and an intensely stony finish. A textbook example of the appellation. 91/2015+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2007 - Burghound.com - July 2009- 92/100Strong reduction and SO2 notes knock the expressiveness of the nose way down but the vibrancy of the mineral-suffused flavors is not compromised as the tight and linear finish is racy, intense, delineated and impressively lingering. Lovely and this has a bit more depth than most of the 1ers in the range. 2013+
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières"- Wine Advocate- December 31st 2008- 87-88 points: The Latour 2006 Puligny-Montrachet Folatieres mingles honey, melon, and brown spices with vanilla and lanolin from the barrel. Undeniably rich, if without much nuance today, it evinces awkward lactic character and finishing bitterness.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2008 - 90/100A wide-open friendly wine, all delicious rich white fruits and tropical flavors. While it may not be age-worthy , it is a pleasure now, an opulent mouthful of Chardonnay. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 - 88-91/100Fine grain, reserved hazelnut flavor and good length. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 92/100This is equally fresh if not quite as elegant with aromas of white flowers, citrus peel and a hint of wood spice that leads to round yet admirably fine middle weight flavors that evidence obvious minerality and outstanding length on the medium dry finish. This is also quite impressive and worth a look. 2010+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 16.5/20Fresh, delicate dusty citrus. Fine and reasonably fresh. Modest and easy, creamy textured. Drink 2009-11. (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2005 - Wine Spectator - August 2007 - 90/100A ripe, opulent style, offering peach, apricot and anise notes. This is a big Puligny, but it has character and enough structure to keep the flavors pulsing through the finish. Drink now through 2016.
- Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières” 2005 - Burghound.com - July 2007 - 90/100An elegant, pure and classy nose that is at once airy yet densely fruited with green apple and white flower aromas that merge into round, intense and detailed flavors that reflect a real sense of underlying stoniness on the delicious and persistent finish that is admirably dry and crisp. I like the energy here and if this adds depth with time in bottle, my score could be conservative. 2010+
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" 2005 - Jancis Robertson - January 2007 - 17/20 Dense, savoury, already quite evolved. A good early drink. Frank with some green fruit elements. Drink 2006-08.
- 2004 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 91 points : A background touch of pain grillé suffuses the discreet and cool spicy white flower and pear aromas that continue onto the delicious, sweet and beautifully detailed middle weight flavors that are round but not soft on the mid-palate but tighten up on the focused finish that displays real verve.
- 2004 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Wine Spectator - November 2006 - 91 points : Very elegant, this white displays graceful floral,mineral and anise flavors in a well-integrated frame. It's intense on the finish, needing time to smooth out.Best from 2008 through 2015.
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet “Les Folatières” - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 91 points :The wood is largely if not completely integrated, leaving only notes of pain grille that add nuance to similarly airy, pure and nicely elegant aromas and racy, linear and direct flavors underpinned by almost pungent +minerality and outstanding finishing intensity. This is impressive and the best wine to this point. 91/2007+
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Burghound.com - July 2004 - 90 points :This too displays subtle oak that complements elegant, refined, intensely limestone suffused aromas that introduce round, slightly fat and generous flavors of good depth, concentration and intensity. The material is first rate and the best of any wine here with the exception of the grands crus. This is forward enough to enjoy young but it will clearty benefit from a few years of bottle age. 90/2007+
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Wine Advocate - February 26th, 2004 - 89-91 points :The mineral-scented 2002 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" is a light to medium-bodied wine with a detailed, deep character. Loads of herb-laced gravel can be found in its higly delineated personnality. Drink it between 2006 and 2011.
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Wine Advocate - April 23rd, 2003 - 90-92 points :A wine of oustanding depth and density, the spiced mineral and earth-scented 2001 Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatières coast the taster's palate with syrupy minerals and poached pears. Plush, sensual and rich, it reveals exceptional purity and a magnificently long finish. Anticipated maturity : 2004-2010.
- 1999 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" - The Wine Advocate - February 28th, 2001 - 88-89 points : The 1999 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatières" reveals anise, spice, and flowers in its aromas. Medium-bodied, pure, and bright, this wine is deep, well focused, elegant, and has an admirably long finish. Anticipated maturity: now-2006.
- 1998 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - The Beverage Testing Institute - 2000 : Bright straw hue. Distinguished aromas of honey, spice, and minerals. Quite concentrated and rich on the attack with a moderately full body and a deeply-flavored finish. Already aromatically-developed, this will be best in the near-term.
- 1998 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatières" - Wine Spectator - October 2000 - 88 points : Aromatically reserved, a smooth, medium-bodied wine with a soft texture, showing some lovely mineral, vanilla bean and ripe fruit in an elegant package. Good balance between fruit and oak on the toasty finish. Drink now through 2003.
- 1997 Puligny-Montrachet « Les Folatières » 1er Cru - Wine Advocate - June 21st, 1999 - 88-90+ points : Earth, nuts and clay are found in the 1997 Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatières'nose. This wine boasts appealing acacia, floral, and red berry flavors in its velvety-textured medium-to-full bodied personality. It is a telltale 97, well ripened, viscous, and rich. Projected maturity: now-2004.
- 1996 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Folatères" - Wine Advocate - 89-92 points. ‘The floral and chalk-scented Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatières is a broad, medium-to-full bodied, silky, and extremely elegant wine. Crisp red currants, minerals and apple-blossoms and minerals can be found in this highly-delineated and focused offering.’
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatieres" 1995 - Wine Spectator - Aug 1997 - 92/100Very seductive, full-bodied and amazingly silky, it fans out on the palate with rose petal, honey, mineral, spice, tropical fruit and toasted bread notes. Drink now through 2005. 500 cases made
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatieres" 1992 - Wine Spectator - Aug 1994 - 89/100Distinctively earthy, nutty and buttery in style. Solid and firm in texture, complex in flavor and very long-lasting on the finish. Drinkable now. 780 cases made.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatieres" 1990 - Wine Spectator - Oct 1993 - 92/100Extremely fresh, with loads of pineapple, apple and butter aromas and flavors, lemony acidity and a crisp finish. Drinkable now. 800 cases made.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Folatieres" 1989 - Wine Spectator - Aug 1991 - 90/100Wonderful now, but better in a few years. A full-bodied wine, with apple, cream and modest lemon aromas and flavors. Butterscotch notes emerge on the finish. Drinkable now.